07 Best Tips For First Time Pet Owners
07 Best Tips For First Time Pet Owners
According to the National Pet Owners Survey(2017-18) conducted by APPA, 68% of the U.S. households own a pet. This is up from 56 percent of U.S. households in 1988, the first year the survey was conducted.
With this vast increase in the number of pet owners in the United States of America, people are in search of some of the best ways to take care of their pets. If you are looking for the same, then I can ensure you've landed in the right place.
Most of the people think that they can take care of pets very quickly, but hold on. It isn't as easy as taking care of a baby. Raising a pet is distinct in its own way and can be very interesting. You'll get to learn a lot of things, and if you are an animal lover, it can be fascinating for you.
Without further ado, let's discuss some of the best ways one can take good care of their pets.
Animals differ in the way they need to be fed. Foods that a pet owner prefers for their pet may not be adequate in the case of your pet. So, know the nourishment needs of your pet and provide them with a healthy and balanced diet regularly.
Also, bear in mind that pets require different nutrients at different stages of their life. If they don't get the nutrients they need, they will eventually face challenges in performing their everyday activities properly.
There are two techniques for pet feeding. They are:
- Free Feeding: This is one of the most popular types of nutrition. A bowl of food is kept for the pet, and it can eat as per its aspirations. For dry foods, this technique works fine. In the case of wet foods, this method can make your living space a complete mess. Also, it can lead to over-eating and obesity.
- Scheduled Portion Feeding: In this type of feeding technique, you need to make a strict routine to feed your pet and stick to it. In this, you restrict your pet to eat specified food portions on a specified timeframe. If your pet needs to be provided with any medication, or you need to keep it on a calorie-controlled diet, this technique can work best for you.
Exercise With Your Pet
Pets, especially dogs, can be your best workout companion. Many reasons illustrate the credibility of this fact. Some of them are listed below:
- You can burn equal calories together.
- Be a source of motivation for each other.
- Benefits of similar speeds. Studies have found that dogs love to walk at a pace of 15-17 minutes per mile, that would be a brisk walk for you. You both can stay happy and healthy this way.
- Your social life would get better. When you are out for a walk with your pet, you will come across several people and socialize. It is yet another reason why your pet can be your workout companion.
Take Your Pet For Health Checkups
Pets are like family members to most of the pet owners around the world. Unlike humans, animals can't express how they are feeling. It is the due responsibility of their owners to take them for regular health checkups. These health checkups ensure that your pet is happy and problem-free. Below are the things you can expect from regular health checkups:
- Blood & Urine Test
- A Nose-to-tail Examination
Make sure these checkups are done at least once a year. Older pets are advised to get checkups twice or thrice a year to cure age-related problems as quickly as possible.
Groom Your Pet Regularly
Pet Grooming not only makes your pet look good but also provides it with numerous health benefits. Some of them are listed below:
- Controls shedding.
- Avoid health-related issues.
- Improves dental health.
- Enhances the overall appearance of your pet.
- Reinforces the bond you share with your pet.
You can get your pet groomed by yourself or hire a professional to do the task on your behalf.
Get Your Pet Vaccinated
Getting your pet vaccinated is an essential step towards good pet care. Particularly, cats and dogs need vaccinations regularly. It protects them from dangerous diseases, including feline leukemia, parvovirus, distemper, rabies, infectious hepatitis, and many more.
Spay/ Neuter Your Pet
Spaying refers to the medical procedure in which the reproductive organs of female dogs and cats are removed. On the other hand, neutering refers to the pathological process by which the testicles of male dogs and cats are removed.
Animals are given anesthesia in these procedures. After a few days, you can get the stitches removed from the body of your pet.
Spaying/ Neutering not only increases the life of a pet but also protects itself against several infections.
Opt For A Pet-Insurance
Pet insurance started in Sweden, almost a century ago. Nearly half of the pets of the country are now insured.
In the USA and Canada, approximately two million of the total pet population are insured(as per the reports of North American Pet Health Insurance Association).
Some of the essential advantages of pet insurance are listed below:
- Pet owners can give utmost priority to the health of their pet, rather than thinking of expense for their care.
- If your pets get stolen or lost, the insurance schemes tend to provide rewards to the one who brings your pet back to you.
I hope the points mentioned in the blog would help you take good care of your pet. If you wish to provide your pet with a happy and healthy life, treat your companion in a way that is recommended.
Tags: First Time Dog Owner Checklist, Thinking About Getting A Dog For The First Time, Pet Owner Mistakes, First Time Dog Owner Breeds