What is Laser eye surgery?
Also known as Lasik eye surgery that stands for Laser-assisted in Situ Keratomileusis is a medical technique used to fix an impaired vision and provide a long-lasting replacement for eye-glasses and contact lenses. This procedure uses an intricate laser called the Excimer laser, to reshape the cornea under the corneal flap. It is used to treat improper vision, refracted errors. This laser process changes by correcting the shape of the cornea which is a transparent cover of at the front of the eye. After the surgery, the corneal flap is placed with a precision that heals without the need of any suture.
For people who suffer from nearsightedness, the goal is to flatten the cornea; and with people who suffer from farsightedness, the goal is to achieve a steeper cornea. Excimer lasers can also correct astigmatism by smoothing an irregular cornea into a more normal shape.
The credit for this process mostly goes to Ioannis Pallikaris who is from Greece in 1990.
All LASIK procedures that are used in Ophthalmology similar but the manufacturers of the laser are different. The 5 manufacturers of the laser for the eye surgery are:
The average cost of a basic LASIK surgery starts from a 1000$ to 3000$. There are some types of surgeries that are advanced in nature and may cost more than the mentioned amount. This cost can also fluctuate from place to place. New York is the best place for the surgery.
It is hard to trust a reliable source for any information these days. The internet may be a good source but again, it is not the only source of information. One may have heard a lot of stories and incidents about LASIK surgery, but it is possible that most of them are not true.
Here are 10 Myths busted about Laser Eye (LASIK) surgery
1. The laser is HOT!: We have seen lasers since our childhood. And since it was a long time ago our knowledge and perceptions of them has mostly come from science fiction movies. Star Trek being the prime example has shown that lasers can pulverize any living being. But fear not, lasers that are used during the eye surgery are cold. You might have heard that during the surgery one can smell something burning, but that is just the constant release of the carbon atoms in the air.
2. Laser eye surgery is temporary: This surgery is designed to alter and correct the refracted cornea in the eyes which makes it a permanent solution. Ones vision may still change a bit due to aging like any other normal person will experience.
3. Laser eye surgery can visually impair you for life: The surgery only transforms the front of the eye at a surface level. Serious complications like the damage to the eye are extremely rare and are supported by the fact that there have been no reported cases of blindness.
Also Read: 8 Things You Need To Know About Chemotherapy
4. Laser surgery is a new procedure: This procedure has been around since the 1980s and the technology for it dates back much before than that. Newer technology may be developed but the procedure is the same at its very core.
5. Once having done a laser surgery, one would not be able to get a cataract surgery: This is false information as the surgery is done at the surface level which does not stop anyone from getting a cataract surgery anytime in the future.
6. Laser surgery in the eye is painful: This being one of the popular concerns is something no one should worry about. In actuality the laser procedure is painless and no one feels a thing. Even though Anesthesia in the form of eye drops is given beforehand a smooth and pain-free procedure is guaranteed.
7. The long term side effects of LASIK surgery are yet to be found: Being developed in the 1980s, patients that have had laser eye surgeries that have taken place throughout the years have reported no long term side effects.
8. Cheap LASIK surgery is the same as the costly one: A prior research on the cost of a normal laser eye surgery will help you realize that many of the places that have a cheaper than usual rate for this sophisticated surgery might be cutting down prior procedures at the consequence of your health and ultimately your life. It is better to conduct thorough research before you consider your options. Getting more than one opinion is safer.
9. The best sign of a surgeons skills is the number of surgeries he or she has performed: While the number of surgeries a surgeon has performed may indicate the level of experience he or she has, they cannot be assessed on the basis of that alone. Doing your research and choosing the best surgeon for you is the best way to go about it. Going to an eye doctor may clear out all the doubts you may have about the process of the surgery.
10. Anyone can get LASIK surgery: Appropriate candidacy is not necessarily for everyone for a LASIK surgery. Potential patients go under a lot of testing before going through the actual surgery. Screening being one of those tests are necessary for the doctor to make sure that any underlying issues are not present. People considering the surgery should be at least 18 years of age to undergo the process being free of any diseases like cataract and glaucoma.
After knowing all these facts you may rest easier tonight and be confident enough to go and get that laser surgery that you have been hesitating to get for a long time.
Tags: Laser Eye Surgery Side Effects, Types Of Laser Eye Surgery, Laser Eye Surgery Age, Laser Eye Surgery Cost
The unbeatable queen of sarcasm, if you come across a witty and intelligent read on Cheap Medicine Shop, just know that it is written by Natalie Wegan. A graduate in dental hygiene, Natalie is as good a writer as she is a mother of two. No matter how mundane the topic might sound, just know that if she is writing it, it’s gonna be a treat to read.