Many of us spend a great deal of time looking at the computer screen. This can put a lot of strain on our eyes causing eye fatigue. Spending long hours looking at the computer, mobile, or tablet screens can put the strain on eyes. Using the rule of 20-20-20 can help in preventing the problem.
What exactly is 20-20-20 rule?
If you find yourself gazing at the screen for so long, your doctor might have mentioned The rule of 20-20-20 was designed by Californian optometrist Jeffrey Anshel. It is an easy reminder to take breaks from long working hours of looking at the screen every 20 minutes. When following a rule, what you have to do is take a break every 20 seconds from looking at the screen after every 20 minutes. During that break, you have to relax the eye muscles by focussing on an object 20 feet away.
Also Read: How To Save Your Eyes From Computers?
The following methods will give you a complete understanding of the process:
- Firstly, set an alarm after every 20 minutes while working as a reminder to take a break from your work.
- You can also download the apps that are developed to help people follow the rule of 20-20-20.
- Look out for a window during the 20-second breaks. Judging a distance of 20 feet can be a bit difficult, but you can focus on the street or lamppost. It would work just well.
A person can benefit from closing their eyes for 20 seconds every 20 minutes so as to get relief from the constant gaze at the computer screen. Also, remember to blink. It can also prevent dry eye by encouraging the production of tears. If you are sitting in your chair for too long, you might also suffer from back problems. So, if you want to avoid neck pain or back problems, get up and walk around for good 5 minutes.
Why only 20 seconds?
The reason why we have mentioned only 20 seconds is that it takes only 20 seconds for your eyes to completely relax. While you’re resting your eyes, it is also a great idea to get up and grab a drink of water to keep yourself hydrated. You can also drink green tea that will help you even more. Green tea contains catechin which is an antioxidant that may help your eyes produce more and better lubrication.
What are the symptoms of eye strain?
There are several symptoms that can indicate eye strain, including:
Sitting for a longer period of time on a chair can cause neck, back or shoulder pain. So, try to stay active also.
Is there any evidence that supports the rule?
According to a little scientific research, the 20-20-20 rule is a great way to reduce the eye strain. Results of a study stated that students who periodically focussed on distant objects in between their working hours had fewer symptoms of computer vision that include dry or watering of eyes, blurred vision, eye strain etc.
Tips for prevention the strain on eyes:
Just like the 20-20-20 rule, there are some other methods as well that can help to reduce the eye strain:
- Changing Computer Settings: You can make your texts larger than usual that will help you in putting less strain on your eyes. Reading a black text on white background is easiest on the eyes.
- Adjust the screen’s contrast: You can change the settings so that the screen is bright enough to read the text without even straining.
- Get regular check-ups: Poor eyesight is also a major cause of concern. So, it is necessary to get your eyes regularly checked.
The strategies and the rule require a little bit time as well as financial commitment, but they have proved to be extremely beneficial for the eyesight. So, from now onwards, try this 20-20-20 rule for the better and improved eyesight. Share this with your friends and family to create awareness. Stay Safe Stay Healthy.
Tags: 20 20 20 Eye exercise, 20 20 20 Rule reminder, Eyecare
Annie is the oldest writer at Cheap Medicine Shop and is the subject and publishing expert. She has a graduate degree in medicines along with a diploma in creative writing.