5 Bogus Myths Regarding Dental Care
5 Bogus Myths Regarding Dental Care
The smile is the reflection of a person’s soul. The first thing that comes on display while smiling is our teeth but still, we often keep them deprived of the care they deserve. We think that brushing our teeth is enough to keep our teeth healthy which is so not true. The common misconception includes brushing and flossing daily. It is often advisable to brush your teeth twice a day but that does not mean that you don’t need to take care of other factors. Basic dental care is necessary for everyone.
There are various reasons why one should take good care of teeth:
- It prevents tooth decay
- It shortens the time with the dentist and makes your visit pleasant.
- It helps in keeping your teeth white and prevents pigmentation.
- It helps in improving your overall health.
You can avoid dental problems by:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing it regularly so as to prevent any kind of plague.
- Avoiding food that contains a lot of sugar. It is responsible for plaque.
- Regularly visit the doctor and get a checkup done.
- Avoid using products that can increase gum disease like tobacco, smoke, etc.
- Practice tongue cleaning.
There have been some common myths associated with dental care. They are:
- Sugar is the main cause of tooth decay: It is true that sugar is one of the causes of tooth decay but it is not the only cause. Sometimes, the acids that come from naturally occurring bacteria in the mouth get to mix with saliva and results in plaque. This often happens due to more consumption of carbohydrates. It is recommended to control the intake of carbohydrates.
- Bad Breath is a sign of gum disease: Bad breath might indicate some problem with gums but it is also a sign of other health problems. To be sure about it, consult your dentist and get a proper check-up done. It can also be a symbol of bowel obstruction or some other issues.
- Whitening of teeth is harmful: People generally have a misconception that whitening teeth harm the enamel which is not true. It might cause some discomfort like sensitivity in gums for the time being but if done professionally, it helps in taking care of the gums.
- Flossing is not important: Flossing is as important as brushing teeth. Skipping floss may lead to the build-up of bacteria. Flossing covers around 33% of the surface that regular brushing can’t reach. So, it is important to floss your teeth for complete cleaning.
- Tooth extraction affects eyesight: It is the most common and absurd myth that most people swear by. There is no effect on the eyes due to the extraction of teeth. Every dentist tells the same thing.
- Eating chocolates cause tooth decay: This is partially true. If you eat chocolate between your meals and don’t rinse your mouth afterward, there is a high chance that the chocolate particle may stick on the surface of your teeth and cause the decay. But if you immediately brush your teeth after consuming chocolate, you can prevent the decay from happening.
- Hard toothbrushes are better: Many people have a perception that hard toothbrushes are better as they firmly remove the dirt from the teeth which is completely a bogus fact. Hard toothbrushes are too abrasive for your teeth that they may damage your gums. It is better to opt for toothbrushes with soft bristles.
It is necessary to get all the right information from your dentist. All you need is to regularly visit your dentist, get a proper check-up and make all the preventions that have been advised by the doctor.