A spike in the blood pressure that develops gradually and results in something dangerous like organ damage is termed as Malignant Hypertension. This case is also called Hypertensive Emergency because a normal blood pressure is 120/80, but when it reaches to 180/120, the fatalities could emerge. It is generally considered as a medical emergency. Accelerated Hypertension also falls under the contingency.
According to a report, an analysis was conducted, in which out of 1165 individuals enrolled, only 71.7% of them were aware of their blood pressure levels. Within this whole survey conducted, around 31.9% of the subjects were under hypersensitive treatment which is a shocking number.
How does it occur?
There are various factors that could cause Malignant Hypertension. It includes:
- Kidney Disease
- Spinal Cord injuries
- Tumor of the adrenaline gland
- Use of illegal drugs
High blood pressure is also one of the main causes. So, it must be regulated and need to be checked in a regular intervals. Since, malignant hypertension could be lethal to the health, it is necessary to keep your blood pressure under control.
Who are prone to Malignant Hypertension?
It is a rare but dangerous condition. About 1% of the people who have had history of high blood pressure could develop this life-threatening complication. Often, people with low financial backgrounds face this condition as they have not been given good health care treatment.
What are the symptoms?
One of the major symptoms is the elevation in the high blood pressure at a constant rate. It could damage the kidneys and eyes as well. Another symptom could be bleeding and swelling in the tiny blood vessels of the retina. In the condition, blurring of vision could take place.
There are various other symptoms involved in the case of Malignant Hypertension:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Severe Headache
- Blurred Vision
Sometimes, some extreme cases arise in which swelling in brain could take place that usually results in hypertensive encephalopathy.
Its symptoms include:
Diagnosis of Malignant Hypertension:
If the symptoms arises in patients, then it is necessary to consult the doctor and get a proper diagnosis. If you visit the doctor, he will:
- Check your blood pressure rate and will tell you the safety measures to keep it in control.
- The doctor will also check that if hypertension has led to any kind of organ damage or not.
- Examination of your eyes to verify whether the blood vessels in your retina have been damaged or not.
- Tests like Blood Clotting, Sodium and Potassium level will be conducted to see the effect of hypertension in body.
- An electrocardiogram or ultrasound could be done to check the damage in heart.
How is the treatment done?
If you are also the patient of malignant hypertension, you are in the desperate need of the medications that go directly in the bloodstream through veins in arm.
The ultimate aim in this case is to lower your blood pressure in a fraction of minutes to avoid any threat. IV is the quickest way to lower the blood pressure so as to avoid any casualties.
If a person has kidney failure, kidney dialysis is recommended by the experts.
Preventions of Malignant Hypertension:
Prevention is better than cure, therefore it is necessary to follow some tips, so that your blood pressure could remain in balance.
- Eat healthy food to avoid spike in the rate.
- Regular exercising could lower your level wonderfully.
- Avoid the consumption of alcohol. If you desperately need it, then try to have 14 units a week.
- Do not smoke.
- Minimize your salt intake.
- Lose weight for a happy and healthy heart.