3 Effective Ways To Keep Your Gut Healthy
The gut, also known as the digestive tract plays an important role in the overall well being. In the past many years the gut health has become very popular and a large number of studies have been conducted to investigate the role of diet and other factors on gut health. It was observed that diet and other environmental factors can modulate the composition and metabolic activity of the human gut which in turn affects health.
What is the gut?
The gut is the hollow tube that passes from the mouth to the anus. Anything that has been consumed in the mouth and is not digested, it will pass out the other end. The act acts as a physical and immunological barrier to harmful microorganisms or any antigen from food to enter the human body.
The human gut consists of various types of bacterias and proper balance of these bacterias can make them beneficial for the health. But there are various factors such as poor diet and pathogens could causes these bacterias to become imbalanced and leads to the development of various health problems such as:
- Abdominal cramps
- Increased inflammation
- Gastrointestinal diseases
There are many ways that can help in making the gut healthy. Some of the effective ways are as follows:
Diet is one of the most important factor which is directly associated with the health of the gut. A balanced diet play a vital role to keep the digestive system healthy. There are various things to remember to maintain a healthy diet such as:
1. Fiber - Inadequate intake of fiber in the diet is one of the most important causes of problems associated with digestion. Fiber is said to be the main source of microbiota accessible carbohydrate in the diet. Fiber is important in the diet as it allows the passage of content through the digestive system and provides the consistency to food.
The insufficient intake of dietary fiber is often known as fiber gap which reduces the benefits from the microbes and leads to the occurrence of various chronic disorders. Lack of fiber is a common cause of constipation because inadequate amount of fiber in the body makes it difficult for the stool to reach the colon. Fiber allows the stool to stay soft such that it can move smoothly to the colon.
2. High fat diet - High fat diet is often considered to be a diet that affects the health of the gut. Diet that is high in fat causes changes in the microbes and leads to an inflammation, causing various health problems. High fat diet can increase the absorption of toxic compound known as lipopolysaccharide. When lipopolysaccharide gets into the body, the immune system mounts an attack. The cells in the immune system produces various chemicals in the bloodstream, resulting in the imbalance between the good and bad microbes.
There are various harmful substances that people these days are addicted to such as tobacco and alcohol consumption.
1. Cigarette smoking - It is considered to be one of the leading causes of deaths across the world. The health effects of cigarette smoking is not new for anyone but still a large number of people smokes. The effects of cigarette smoking affects almost every organ in the human body, including the gut.
Smoking contributes to the development of various disorders in the body such as gastrointestinal reflux disease, peptic ulcer, crohn’s disease and various types of cancer such as esophageal cancer and mouth cancer. Smoking weakens the parts of the systems in the body which in turn affects the normal functioning of the systems.
2. Alcohol consumption - Excessive consumption of alcohol is considered to be strongly associated with problems in the gastrointestinal tract and this is because when alcohol is consumed, it passes through different segments in gastrointestinal tract.
Alcohol affects the mucosa that lines the upper gastrointestinal tract, resulting in various functional changes. The mucosal damage and functional changes disturbs the process of digestion of various important nutrients in the body which results in malnutrition. Excessive consumption of alcohol can also affect various parts of the gastrointestinal tract which could lead to the development of multiple health problems, including the development of various cancers.
Habitual Physical Activity
Physical activity plays an important role in maintaining the overall health of an individual. Lack of physical activity can significantly affects the health, resulting in the occurrence of various health problems. Many people are aware that regular physical activity can help in reducing the risk of suffering from cardiovascular disease. But many are unaware that physical activity can have a significant impact on the digestive system as well.
Physical activity or exercise can improve the overall functioning of the digestive system. Exercise can help to maintain microbiota and thus supporting a healthy lifestyle. Research suggest that doctors often recommend an increase in physical activity to patients who suffer from gastrointestinal problems such as constipation.
Tags: Ways To Keep Liver Healthy, Habits that cause Indigestion, Buy Gastro Health Medication