Exercise Can help You Look Prettier
We all know that being physically active is necessary for the overall wellbeing. Physical activity is anything that involves the movement of our bodies. But it is essential to understand that there is a difference between being physically active and exercise. The exercise involves the activities that are done for fitness, rather than the daily routine. In other terms, we can say that exercise is a subcategory of physical activity which is repetitive and purposeful.
Without any doubt, we can say that healthy skin is at the top wish list of many. We all want to look beautiful!!
Exercise is useful for preventing and treating many health problems such as coronary heart disease, osteoporosis, diabetes mellitus, obesity, and depression. But it is known to few that exercise can be an effective way to have healthy glowing skin. There are multiple mechanisms that explain how exercise can help in having healthy skin and how it helps in preventing various skin diseases as well.
It is our responsibility to ensure that our skin is healthy. Skin plays an important role in protecting the body against environmental, physical, and harmful chemicals. There are multiple ways through which exercise protects our skin.
- A face is made up of many muscles and muscle blood flow is extremely important for skin health. During exercise the flow of blood to muscles undergoes various changes such as acute skin vasoconstriction, the blood flow is directed towards the active muscles.
- Another way exercise helps to have healthy look is that it helps to reduce oxidative stress. Stress is one of the common cause of dull look and evidence suggests that exercise is an effective way to reduce stress from life. Not only this, exercise helps to treat and prevent depression.
- Exercise increases relaxation and improves the quality of sleep. Both the quality and quantity of sleep have a direct impact on the way we look in the morning. Evidence suggests that lack of sleep make our eyes look puffy, resulting in a dull look.
Yoga is one of the most effective ways of exercising which contains multiple health benefits. Yoga is an ancient method that is meant to bring balance and health to physical, emotional, and spiritual dimensions. There are many yoga postures that improve skin health. The primary cause for this is that yoga is all about focus on breathing - inhaling and exhaling, Yoga allows to focus on deep and rhythmic breathing. Drawing oxygen into and out of the body releases harmful toxins from the skin and other parts of the body, promotes healthy skin and body. Some yoga posture for skin health are as follows:
1. Uttanasana (Forward bending pose)
Uttanasana or forward bending pose is not only effective for skin health, but it is a pose promotes the functioning of many organs in the body. Practicing this pose allows the blood to flow into the face faster along with the nutrient rich oxygen that helps to fight free radicals. It also encourages skin cell renewal and adds a glow to the face.
Steps to practice uttanasana
- Stand straight on the ground with a small gap between the feet. Take a deep breath and raise both your arms.
- Exhale, and bend forward from your hip joints rather than from waist. All your emphasize should be on lengthening of the front torso.
- Keep your knees straight and try to bring your palms at the back of ankle. If you are unable to touch the back of the ankle, cross your forearms and hold your elbows.
- As you inhale, lengthen the front torso and with each exhale, release fully into the bend.
- Stay in that position for 30 to 60 seconds, later return to your initial position.
2. Utkatasana (Chair Pose)
Utkatasana or chair pose is an exceptionally amazing yoga posture for improving skin health. This yoga posture increases the flow of blood throughout the body and causes the skin to sweat out all the impurities from the skin. As a result, it promotes healthy skin. It is also beneficial for the muscles and stimulates the heart.
Steps to practice utkatasana pose
- Stand straight on the ground with a small gap between the feet. Take a deep breath and raise both your arms. You can keep your arms parallel to each other or join them.
- Breathe normally and slowly bend your knees in such a way that your thighs become parallel to the floor
- Press your thigh bones towards the heels and keep your inner thighs parallel to each other.
- Stay in that position for around 30 seconds to 60 seconds. Later, gently return to your initial position.
3. Halasana (Plow Pose)
Halasana or the plow pose provides a great transformation to your skin as it has benefits on those factors that affect skin health. This yoga posture helps to increase the circulation of blood throughout the body, detoxifies the body, and it also reduces stress and its negative effects.
Steps to practice halasana
- Lie on the floor with your arms by your side and palms facing downwards.
- Take a deep breath, lift your feet using abdominal muscles and raise your leg making the angle of 90 degrees.
- Gently, take your feet at the angle of 180 degrees and let your toes be placed over your head. Your back should be perpendicular to the ground.
- Stay in that position for 30 to 60 seconds and return to your initial position.
4. Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half spinal pose)
Ardha Matsyendrasana or half spinal pose affects almost all the internal organs in the body. It releases all the tension from the body and makes individual stress free. Stress has a significant impact on the way an individual looks. It also purifies the blood which removes all the toxic particles from the body that prevents any skin disorder.
Steps to do Ardha Matsyendrasana
- Sit straight on the mat with your legs extended out in front of you.
- Gently, bend your left leg in such a way that your calves are against your thighs.
- Now lift your hips a little and place your left foot under your buttocks.
- Next, cross your right leg and place it beside your right thigh.
- Place your hands on the right knee and press downwards using your hands and leg.
- Stay in that position for at least 30 seconds and then repeat the steps on the other side.
Tags: Yoga Postures To Improve Mental Health, Yoga Postures Diabetics Must Try, Role Of Yoga During Pregnancy, Exercises That Helps You Stay Fit