Hormones play a vital role in maintaining the health of both males and females and an imbalance with the hormones can cause significant pathological problems. Hormones are considered to be the body’s messenger that is secreted into the bloodstream and controls some of the major body functions.
Fluctuations in the level of hormones can have a significant impact on the health of an individual and on the quality of life of an individual. It can have a negative impact on the mood, sexual desires and can also produce some undesirable effects such as weight gain, headache, fatigue, and it can also increase the risk of developing some serious and life-threatening diseases like heart disease and cancer.
Symptoms of Hormonal Imbalance
Some of the symptoms that might occur when the hormones go out of control are as follows:
A buildup of fat is very common in hormonal imbalance. Multiple studies have stated that when the hormones go out of control, an individual is more likely to feel tired all the time and the primary reason for this unexplained tiredness that due to imbalance, the body start to convert food into fat instead of fuel or energy.
There are various factors that can cause hormonal imbalance such as improper diet, stressful or depressed lifestyle, and use of certain drugs. What we eat have a lot to do with how our body function. Similarly, there are various foods and beverages that might be messing with your hormones and you have no idea about it. Some of the foods are as follows:
Coffee is one of the most consumed beverages throughout the world and it consists of many bioactive compounds, one of which is caffeine. Coffee has a significant impact on the levels of various hormones.
- Consumption of coffee or intake of caffeine causes the release of stress hormones, known as cortisol, epinephrine, norepinephrine, and the glucocorticoids. Coffee increases stress by stimulating stress hormones. These hormones can have a damaging effect on various psychological systems and at the same time, it also accelerates the process of aging. An increase in these hormones cause problems like anxiety, increased feelings of tension, problems with motor coordination, suppressed the immune system, and problems with digestion.
- Consumption of excessive coffee is also responsible for the decrease in one of the most abundant steroid hormones in the bloodstream and brain, DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone). DHEA acts as a protective agent which is involved in defending the body against negative effects. The decrease in the level of DHEA can affect the psychological process in the body, affecting cognitive and memory. DHEA stimulates the immune system in the body, inhibits inflammatory process, and modulates memory.
Sugar belongs to the group of carbohydrates. Carbohydrate is a group which includes innumerable sugar and sugar derivatives. It also includes high molecular weight carbohydrates such as starch and cellulose. Sugar belongs to the group of carbohydrates whose main function is to provide energy to the body, to ensure normal functioning. Naturally, occurring sugar is beneficial to the health, such as sugar found in fruits, lactose, and milk. However, a sugar that is known as added sugar, such as sugar is added during the preparation of food and beverages is harmful to the human body.
- Excessive added sugar intake can have a significant impact on the level of serotonin in the body. Serotonin is responsible for modulating almost all human behavioral process. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that modulates the neural activity and various neuropsychological processes. Any fluctuations in the level of serotonin in the body can have an impact on a neuropsychological process such as mood, anger, perception, aggression, appetite, memory, concentration, and sexuality.
- An increased amount of sugar in the blood can also affect one of the most important hormones in males, testosterone. An increase in the amount of sugar in the bloodstream can lead to a decrease in the level of testosterone, which can have a significant impact on sex life. Testosterone is an important hormone for the males which can influence almost all the functioning in the body. Lack of testosterone can also lead to increase in the risk of developing problems, such as erectile dysfunction.
Consumption of excessive alcohol is considered to be one of the most serious substance abuse disorder across the world. Excessive alcohol affects the whole human body and can have a serious impact on the levels of hormones which are important for the functioning of various systems.
- Intake of alcohol primarily affect the hormones that are involved in male reproduction. The male reproductive system is highly affected by the intake of alcohol because it leads to a decrease in the levels of three major hormones, testosterone, luteinizing hormone, and follicle stimulating hormone. Testosterone is one of the most important hormones required to have satisfactory sexual intercourse. Luteinizing hormone and follicle stimulating hormone are the two hormones that are produced by a pituitary gland and are responsible for controlling reproductive functions.
Also Read: List of Some Important Nutrients For A Child's Development
- Alcohol also has an impact on other hormones that could lead to an impairment of various organs in the body and hence, results in the development of some serious disorders. Alcohol can also affect the hormone, insulin which plays a role in controlling sugar level in the bloodstream. The high sugar level in the body can result in the development of disease known as diabetes mellitus.
4. White bread
Many times we hear people saying that white bread is harmful to health. Well, this is right. Multiple studies have been conducted to investigate the effects of white bread on the human body and it was observed that white bread can have a significant impact on health. White bread is believed to be a food item that is high in glycemic index and items with high glycemic interest is bad for the human body.
- Foods that are high in glycemic index affects the production of glucagon. Glucagon is a hormone that is formed in the pancreas. It is secreted into the portal veins and has a major effect on physiologic action in the liver to break down glycogen. Glucagon takes place various actions in the liver which are important for the healthy well being.
- Consumption of white bread also has an impact on insulin. Insulin is an important hormone in the human body which is responsible for controlling the blood sugar level in the body. Normal production of insulin in the body prevents the development of diabetes mellitus. Whenever the production is insulin fluctuates, the sugar level in the blood is affected.
Tags: Hormonal imbalance treatment, Hormonal imbalance test, Protein foods
The unbeatable queen of sarcasm, if you come across a witty and intelligent read on Cheap Medicine Shop, just know that it is written by Natalie Wegan. A graduate in dental hygiene, Natalie is as good a writer as she is a mother of two. No matter how mundane the topic might sound, just know that if she is writing it, it’s gonna be a treat to read.