There are over 200 types of cancer that have been diagnosed till now. There have been many treatments introduced as well for the cure of cancer but that only depends on what kind of cancer you have and what stage you are at. Some people undergo only one treatment while others may get more than one treatments. There are also combinations of treatments given to the patients of cancer like surgery with radiation as well as chemotherapy. Other treatments include targeted therapy, hormone therapy, chemotherapy.
When you are thinking of getting the treatment for cancer, first understand all the procedures by the doctor and learn about different options. Complete knowledge could let you decide the treatment and their success rates.
Chemotherapy: It is an effective treatment which destroys the abnormal cells of cancer with the help of drugs. It prevents the cells from growing and bifurcating so as to form new cells. Since the cells of cancer spread at a faster rate, chemotherapy destroys the harmful cells more rapidly as compared to the healthy cells. The drugs used in this treatment are so powerful that they may destroy some healthy and growing cells as well.
This treatment is used at different times:
- It may be done before a patient undergo any surgery to shrink the tumor.
- After surgery or therapy, it is done to destroy the remaining cells of cancer as well.
- It could be done as an only treatment as well like in case of leukemia, only chemotherapy is done on a patient.
- Done for the cancer that again occur after cancer which is generally called recurrent cancer.
- Done on cancer that gets spread to other parts of the body, often referred as metastasis.
It is generally given for some specific months like 6 months or more as long as the cells are not destroyed.
It could be given in different forms:
- In the form of injections: Shots are given in the fatty part of the muscle, like arm, leg or belly. Some may work like that only as in injection form.
- In the form of drugs: It could be done by taking the drugs orally. The drug could be a capsule, pill or in liquid form. Oral treatment is more common nowadays as it is easy to take.
The treatment depends on various factors:
- The type of cancer
- Severity of Cancer
- Your medical history
- Your general health
How is it used with other treatments?
When chemotherapy used with other treatments of cancer, then:
- It destroys those cells that may remain after the treatment as well.
- It makes a tumor smaller before surgery or therapies.
- It helps in making other treatments better
- Stomach Pain
- Muscle Pain
- Hair loss
Immunotherapy: It is a type of cancer treatment that helps the body to fight against cancer and its infections by helping the immune system. It is composed of white blood cells and tissues, organs of lymph systems. Being a biological therapy, it uses substances made from the living organisms to kill the cells of cancer.
It works in the following ways:
- It slows down the growth of cancerous cells.
- It stops the development of harmful cells.
- It helps the immune system perform better at destroying the cells of cancer.
Different kinds of immunotherapy are there:
- T-Cell Therapy
- Cancer Vaccines
- Adoptive cell transfer
Side Effects that may persist:
- Trouble in breathing
- Risk of infection
Radiation Therapy: It uses high doses of radiations to treat the cells of cancer by killing them or shrinking them. If low doses are given, then it is used to see what is going on in the person’s body. When given in high dose, it kills the cells of cancer or slows down the development by destroying their DNA.
There are two types of radiation therapies:
External Radiation Beam Therapy: The radiation is emitted from a machine to kill the cells of your cancer. The large machine moves around you and projects the radiations to the part of a body.
Internal Radiation Beam Therapy: In this treatment, a source of radiation is put inside the body. It could be of any form.
2. Skin Problems
4. Difficulty in breathing
5. Sore and dry mouth
6. Tooth decay
7. Breathing problem