How to Find The Right Doctor For Erectile Dysfunction?
What Is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile Dysfunction refers to a condition when men are unable to get and keep an erection firm enough for sex.
Having problems with erection occasionally is prevalent. But, if you experience this issue for a prolonged period, consult your physician. ED can cause stress, hamper your self-confidence, and bring about relationship problems.
When To Consult A Doctor?
Consult a doctor if:
- You never get an erection
- You get an erection which lasts for a concise period
- You attain erection occasionally
Primary & Secondary ED
A man has primary ED if he has never been able to achieve an erection while secondary ED is acquired by a man who formerly was able to make an erection.
How To Find The Right Doctor For Erectile Dysfunction?
1. Know The Type of Doctor To Consult
A specialist treats the symptoms by knowing its underlying cause. You will be astonished to know how different doctors prescribe the same symptoms.
Take a simple example:
If you have back pain, whom should you consult? A neurosurgeon, an orthopedist, a rheumatologist, an anesthesiologist, or a primary care doctor.
The same is the case with ED. There are many types of doctors who treat the disease. The list includes:
- Mental Health Professionals
Knowing the potential causes of your condition of ED can help you decide on the type of specialist to consult.
If you are unable to determine the cause, consult a primary care physician. He can guide you on the same.
2. Create a list of the top doctors in your locality
Once you decide on the type of doctor, the next step would be to create a list of some of the best doctors in your locality.
For this, you can conduct online research about the same. Various websites are available on the web that contains the database of top doctors. An example of one such site is www.educare.org.
3. Narrow Down Your Search
You can shortlist the name of doctors by considering the following factors:
- Hospital Affiliation
- Educational Qualification
- Languages Known
- Years In Practice
- Forms Of Insurance Accepted
4. Run A Background Check
Now that you have curated the list of top doctors in your locality, now it's the time to run a background check on some of your most preferred doctors.
How To Do This?
- Every state licenses its doctors. Without a license, no doctor is permitted to practice medicine. So, check the state physician licensing board to determine if he is authorized to practice in your state.
- Some doctors are board-certified for an area but work on some different locations. So, check the credentials of the board certification of the doctor before employing them.
- The next important thing to know about your doctor is the medical school and residency he has graduated. This factor is less important for older doctors, as they have many years of experience.
- Last but not least, know if the name of your selected doctor is registered in criminal records for malpractice.
5. Make An Appointment
Once you have chosen a healthcare specialist, make an appointment with him once. Following are the things you need to analyze:
- The time you had to wait to meet the doctor
- Politeness of staff
- Proficiency of nurses
6. Come Prepared
You need to prepare yourself for the appointment. Create a list of questions you have in your mind, the medications you are currently taking, your medical records, and insurance details.
Note how the doctor is responding to your questions and does he have the answer to all of your questions. A good doctor will always make his patient comfortable and answer all of his questions thoroughly.
Following are the right questions you should ask the doctor:
- The number of cases he has treated like the one you will need
- The potential benefits and risks of the treatment
- From where to gather information to get an in-depth insight into your condition
- If there is a less expensive medication and treatment alternative available
7. Trust Your Instincts
Consider your overall experience of appointment and decide whether you can trust your doctor. Always trust your instincts and make a decision most suitable for your condition.
8. Get A Second Opinion
If you are not entirely satisfied with the experience with your doctor, keep on searching until you find the perfect fit.
So, this was the ultimate guide on how to select the right doctor for erectile dysfunction. Consider these points and get treated with the most qualified doctor.
Tags: Which Erectile Dysfunction Drug Is Best, Erectile Dysfunction Test Yourself, Will Walk-In Clinic Prescribe Viagra, Erectile Dysfunction Treatment Options