Diabetes is a disease that occurs in a person when blood sugar level or the level of glucose in the blood is too high. It is a condition in which body’s inability to produce or respond to the insulin that results in the abnormal metabolism of carbohydrates and leads to an increased level of glucose in the blood. Insulin is a hormone that is made by the pancreas and helps glucose in food get into the cells and use it for energy. Diabetes is of two types type 1 and type 2.
- In type 1 diabetes, the body doesn’t make insulin and in type 2 diabetes body doesn’t make insulin and doesn’t use insulin well.
- People who are overweight and have a family history of diabetes are more likely to suffer from type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease that is associated with ten years shorter life expectancy.
Symptoms of diabetes
Some of the common symptoms of diabetes are as follows:
In order to fight diabetes, having a healthy lifestyle and healthy eating habits is essential. Some of the helpful tips that can help people with diabetes, primarily type 2 diabetes include:
1. Choose carbohydrates that are low in glycaemic index. For diabetic patients, carbohydrates act as a source of increasing glucose level. Glycaemic index is associated with the food that indicates the effect of carbohydrates on the person’s glucose level. It represents the person’s blood sugar level two hours after the consumption of the food. Foods with carbohydrates that break down quickly, releases glucose rapidly into the bloodstream whereas food with carbohydrates that break down slowly releases glucose slowly into the bloodstream.
2. Manage the intake of salt. It has been noticed that salt can play an important role in managing diabetes. Reducing an intake of salt is beneficial for the entire health of an individual. According to the researchers, people with diabetes are more likely to get affected by high pressure which further increases the risk of heart disease, stroke etc.. If you have diabetes then it is important to ensure that your blood pressure is under control.
Also Read: Chiropractic - The Art of Controlling your Spine
3. We all are aware of the effects of alcohol on the human body. It acts as a poison and is responsible for a large number of deaths throughout the world. Alcohol stimulates the appetite and increases hunger. It will further lead to overeating which directly affects the glucose level in the body. Another reason why avoiding excessive drinking is recommended is that alcohol contains a lot of calories which makes it impossible for an individual to lose weight. Being overweight is one of the most common reasons for Type 2 diabetes. Alcohol also increases the risk of hypoglycemia, Hypoglycemia is a condition of low sugar level, that is person experiences the blood sugar that decreases to below the normal level. This is a risky sign and can lead to complications.
4. Regular physical activity is important for the health of an individual as it protects a person from developing various health disorders, including diabetes mellitus. There are evidences that suggests that regular physical activity can work wonders in managing diabetes and in reducing the sugar level of an individual to a great extent. Adopting the habit of regular physical activity is the best thing you can do to maintain the glucose level in the body. Also, physical activity increases the effectiveness of insulin which in turn is a positive thing to take care of diabetes.
Causes of Diabetes
Stress is one of the most common causes of diabetes mellitus and there is a strong relationship between the two. Stress is one of the triggers and is highly linked to an increased risk of diabetes mellitus. Cortisol which is also known as a stress hormone has an impact on glucose metabolism. Cortisol increases the level of blood glucose by stimulating hepatic gluconeogenesis and inhibiting the action of insulin.
Multiple studies have been conducted to investigate the relationship between obesity and diabetes mellitus and it was observed that most often, people who are obese are also diabetic. Obesity increases the risk of developing diabetes mellitus to a large extent. There are various mechanisms that explain why obesity causes diabetes and one of the mechanism include that obesity develops insulin resistance, which increases the glucose level in the body.
3. Unhealthy diet
Excessively eating foods that are high in sugar is an important risk factor for diabetes mellitus. A healthy diet is important for overall well being and play an important role in the prevention of various diseases, including diabetes mellitus. An intake of high sugar drinks and beverages triggers glucose metabolism and causes diabetes mellitus.
Gestational diabetes is the third type of diabetes and it is a type of diabetes which occur only in the pregnant women. Whenever a woman develops diabetes when she is pregnant, and never had it before, it is known as gestational diabetes. Gestational diabetes needs to be controlled as uncontrolled diabetes can cause some complications. Uncontrolled diabetes can affect the baby and can make the baby grow very large, which can result in the problems during delivery. Uncontrolled sugar level during pregnancy also increases the risk for a child to become obese during childhood and increases the risk of developing diabetes mellitus in a child. Obesity is one of the most common risk factors for the occurrence of type 2 diabetes.
Diabetes is one of the common problems and a large number of people are living with this disease. Share this post with your family and friends to tell them about the ways he or she can manage diabetes.
Tags: Type 1 Diabetes, Exercises for regulating your diabetes, Do’s And Don’ts to fight Diabetes, Diabetes Treatment
Annie is the oldest writer at Cheap Medicine Shop and is the subject and publishing expert. She has a graduate degree in medicines along with a diploma in creative writing.