How to treat arthritis with Ayurveda?
How to treat arthritis with Ayurveda?
Osteoarthritis is a chronic condition of the joints in which the cartilage that cushions the ends of the bones gradually loses its elasticity and wears away. The bones begin to rub each other, causing stiffness, inflammation and also lack of movement. It can occur in any of the body’s joints but mostly it develops in the hands and also weight-bearing joints. Osteoarthritis can also develop as a result of stress. Usually, this condition persists as a person grows old. It can be classified as generative as well as effective. Both of these conditions are not easy to handle.
Ayurveda is an ancient form of treatment that started in India. It uses nutrients, exercises, medications together to encourage good health. Combining certain nutrients along with supplements help ease down the pain and stiffness of arthritis. According to the Hindu tradition, the cause of arthritis is the accumulation of Ama or toxins as well as aggravated Vata. It is also paired with Agni which is the digestive fire. Since the main dosha which is associated with arthritis is Vata, most of the ayurvedic treatments call for Vata-pacifying remedies. Ama which is also known to be one of the causes is defined as the sticky, toxic waste or by-product in the body that can cause an array of health issues. One of them is arthritis.
What are the treatments of Arthritis?
The main protocol for treating arthritis using the Ayurveda treatment is to dislodge ama from the joint, bringing the colon back to be eliminated with various herbs, remedies, and other cleansing treatments.
Some treatments that Ayurveda experts prescribe the patients of arthritis involve:
- Heat therapy: In this, a steam room or sauna is used. It can help to expel impurities from the body. Heat can also be applied directly to the body. There is an ayurvedic treatment called swedna which uses a steam tent. That tent is placed over the massage table after the full body oil massage. The ama binds with that oil and is sweat out through the pores.
- Herbalised Oil Massage: A specialized herbal oil is also prepared by experts that could be used to treat only your condition. For every condition, there is a specific oil made. It also includes using specific strokes over joints, ligaments, muscles as well as other different parts of the body.
- Abhyanga Massage: It is known to be one of the best preventions for degenerative arthritis. You can receive this type of massage from a trained Ayurveda therapist or at home with a self-massage. What you have to do is heat approx 1 cup of oil and then rub it all over your body. Use long and vigorous strokes on the larger parts of the body. Also, rub the oil into the tissues with the sole intention of getting rid of the ama. Massage for 10 minutes every day. You can also take a hot bath with Epsom salt to draw out the impurities from the body.
- Pranayama: It is a breathing exercise that has been used for the past thousands of years. You can do sheetali pranayama in which you can make a tube with the help of tongue. Breathe deeply through your mouth and then draw the air into your belly. Hold the breath for 7 seconds. Exhale through your nose. Do this for about 15 times.
- Aromatherapy: It uses essential oils to create mental and physical changes. You can use those essential oils with your bath, diluted in a massage oil, or inhaled through a diffuser. The scent of oils can help reduce the pain, boost energy levels, and also help in relaxation. Some essential oils include ginger, clove, camphor, lavender, frankincense, geranium etc. If you are applying these diluted oils, first do a skin patch test. You can rub the oil on the inside of your forearm to check if it has any side effect or not. If there are no harmful effects, it is safe to apply anywhere.
Ayurveda has made many advancements when it comes to treating arthritis. So, be sure to go-ahead from your doctor before introducing anything new to your treatment plan. Before going for them, make sure to get expert advice.
If there is any other Ayurveda treatment that you know of for treating arthritis, tell us in the comment section.