Cells in any part of the body can become cancerous. When it starts in the kidney of a person, it is called renal cancer.
In this, the kidney cells become cancerous and grow beyond control. It can be diagnosed and treated at an early stage in most of the cases.
You can do several things to get relieved from the symptoms of renal cancer. Peruse this blog and get to know the various stages, symptoms, causes, and preventive measures for the disease.
Other Names for Renal Cancer:
What Are The Symptoms Of Renal Cancer?
People don’t usually experience any symptoms at the early stages. But if the cancer is developing fast, you may experience some of the following symptoms:
- Formation of lump on side or lower back
What Are The Stages Of Renal Cancer?
There are four main stages of renal Cancer -
- Cancer remains entirely inside the kidney
- The size of the tumor is less than 7 cm
- Can be cured with surgery
- The five-year survival rate is very high
- Cancer remains inside the kidney
- The size of the tumor is more than 7 cm
- Surgery is the best treatment alternative
- Five-year survival rate remains high
- Cancer spreads to a primary vein or nearby tissues
- The lymph nodes might get struck; distant organs remain unaffected
- Cancer does not go beyond Gerota’s Fascia(connective tissue encapsulating the kidney and adrenal glands)
- Can be cured with surgery, although the survival rates are meager
- Cancer moves outside Gerota's Fascia and affects the adjacent tissues
- Surrounding lymph nodes and other parts of the body may or may not get affected
- Can be cured but with the help of several different treatments
What Are The Risk Factors For Renal Cancer?
- Smoking: Smoking cigars or cigarettes can double the risk of kidney disease.
- Older Age: The risk of renal cancer increases with age.
- High Blood Pressure: Hypertension or high blood pressure can improve the risk of renal cancer.
- Kidney Failure: People who are receiving treatment for chronic kidney failure are at serious risk of developing kidney cancer.
- Obesity: People who are overweight can get cancer of the kidney.
- Being Male: Males are at a higher risk of the disease than females.
- Exposure To Certain Chemicals: Risk of kidney cancer increases with frequent exposure to harmful chemicals like benzene, asbestos, cadmium, some herbicides, or organic solvents.
- Lymphoma: People who received treatment for lymphoma are at significant risk of developing several types of cancer, including cancer of the kidney.
- Family History: The risk of renal cancer increases if you have a sibling or parent with the disease.
- Race: Dark-skinned people are at a higher risk for kidney cancer than the light-skinned people.
- Certain Medications: Painkillers that contain phenacetin can be the cause of your kidney cancer.
What Are The Available Treatment Options?
There are several factors which decide the right treatment alternative:
It is the best treatment option for most types of kidney-related cancer. It ensures the removal of the tumor and promotes the normal functioning of the organ.
Surgery may be done in the following three ways:
In this, the surgeon removes the affected kidney from the body. The surgeon may do this by creating single or multiple incisions in the side or abdomen of the body.
In this, the surgeon removes the tumor from the kidney. He can also remove a thin section of nearby healthy tissue.
In this, the surgeon removes the affected kidney, surrounding tissue, adrenal gland, and nearby lymph nodes.
Drugs are used in chemotherapy to kill the malignant cells or to stop the cells from diving. The drug can be taken either as a pill or as an injection.
Depending on the type and stage of cancer, a suitable method is opted by the doctor to provide drugs.
3. Radiation Therapy
The doctor uses an x-ray to kill cancerous cells. Radiation is provided to the body from outside; it is called external beam therapy.
People who have a weak immune system and cannot undergo surgery are radiation therapy. It cannot completely cure the disease but can help relieve the symptoms.
4. Targeted Therapy
It is the most recent kind of therapy used to treat cancer. Certain drugs are utilized to attack malignant cells. It does not damage other healthy cells of the surrounding.
Some drugs cause shrinkage of the tumor by stopping the blood flow in the region. This therapy has its side effects.
It has now become a standard treatment for different types of cancer.
The immune system is composed of several tissues, cells, biological substances that protect our body against viruses, bacteria, and other harmful germs.
Immunotherapy activates the immune system and makes it capable of fighting cancer and other health conditions.
Tags: Kidney Cancer Diagnosis, Types Of Kidney Cancer, I Have Kidney Cancer Now What, Kidney Cancer Stages
Elina is a general health writer for Cheap Medicine Shop and holds a diploma in health and fitness studies. She hails from Canada and is specialized in writing about a plethora of diseases, diets and more. Apart from being an ardent writer, Elina is also a dedicated reader and no literary discussion at the workplace is complete without her insightful participation.