Probiotics are the live organisms that are beneficial for the body. They are live bacteria and yeast and are extremely good for the digestive system. There are two types of bacteria present in the body, good and bad. Your body needs both of it. Probiotics are often called good bacteria. It keeps your guts healthy. They are helpful in various medical conditions like irritable bowel syndrome, infectious diarrhea, antibiotic-related diarrhea, etc. They have also helped with skin conditions like eczema, urinary as well as vaginal health, etc. It is extremely important to include them in your diet so as to avoid any complications.
We present 5 probiotic foods that you must add to your plate:
1. Yogurt: Being one of the best sources of probiotics, they are the good bacteria that can improve the overall health. Yogurt is made from the milk that is fermented with the help of friendly bacteria, especially lactic acid bacteria. Eating it has been associated with various health-related benefits, like an improved digestive system, improved bone health. It is also beneficial for people with high blood pressure. It is advised to eat yogurt with active or live cultures.
2. Kefir: It is a fermented probiotic drink that is made up of kefir grains to cow’s or goat’s milk. They are not actually cereal grains, but cultures of lactic acid bacteria which looks like cauliflower. It has been linked to various health benefits. It helps in improving bone health, digestive problems and protects against infections. It is also a good source and potent prebiotic.
3. Tempeh: It is a soya bean product which has been fermented. It forms a firm patty and is extremely high in phytic acid which is a plant compound that impairs the absorption of minerals like iron and zinc. It also produces vitamin B12 which is an essential nutrient. It is a great choice for vegetarians.
4. Kimchi: It is a fermented, spicy Korean dish that contains cabbage as the main ingredient. It is a mix of seasonings, such as red chili flakes, garlic, ginger, scallion, and salt. It also contains the lactic acid bacteria Lactobacillus kimchi as well as others that may benefit digestive health. It is high in vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin K as well as iron.
5. Pickles: Also known as gherkins, they are the cucumbers that have been pickled in a solution of salt and water. They are usually left to ferment for some time, using their own naturally present lactic acid bacteria. This process is what makes them sour. It should be noted that pickles that are made with vinegar do not contain any live prebiotics.
There are many other super healthy food items as well that you can eat to regulate your overall health. It can have powerful effects on health.