The third most-produced type of poultry in the world is duck meat. Whether the entire body is consumed or parts of duck meat, it is generally considered a healthy source of food rich in essential minerals, Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids, vitamins, and a rich source of protein.
- Usually, the flesh of the duck is used to make the meat.
- It is served after frying or baking. Not only the meet but duck eggs are also processed into the food platter.
- The breast and the thigh meat of the duck are usually dark in color and rich sources of protein, carbohydrate, and fat.
- The breast meat of duck has a darker color than the chicken breast meat. Ducks being a type of water bird have a layer of fat that is present under the skin.
- This layer of thick fat cells is required to warm up the body in case the water is excessively cold.
- Research has stated that for overall growth and development of the human body, duck meat is very beneficial.
- Apart from the delicious taste that it has to offer, the nutritional content of the meat is extremely important for brain development.
Duck Meat And The Nutrition Facts
Duck meat is considered very nutritious with a wide range of antioxidants, minerals, vitamins, and nutrients.
- The most nutritious aspect of duck is protein and a total of 25% of daily protein intake can be obtained from duck meat.
- Other nutrients present in duck meat include thiamine, which is also known as vitamin b1, vitamin b2 known as riboflavin, vitamin B5 known as pantothenic acid, vitamin k, vitamin b6, vitamin c vitamin b3 known as niacin
- Vitamin b complex nutrients are the most abundant nutrients present in duck meat and include vitamin A, folate, and minerals such as selenium, copper, zinc, iron, phosphorus, and potassium.
- A small amount of calcium can also be found and along with Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids. The majority of the fat present in the duck’s body is found in its skin.
- 100 grams of duck meat along with the skin is known to have 40% of fat. When you consume duck meat by removing the skin, you will only have 11.2 grams of fat left.
- Depending upon the mode of cooking, the nutrient content of duck meat may change based on the ingredients that you apply to the meat.
While cooking all the some, minerals and vitamins can be reduced because of the heat applied in cooking. Antioxidants in duck meat increase when the meat is roasted.
Also Read: 07 Best Tips To Keep House Clean With Pets
Duck Meat And It’s Fat
The fat present in duck meat has both benefits and side effects. For a person practicing the low carb ketogenic diet, the fat present in duck meat might be a good choice of protein. Most of the fats present in duck meat are polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats which are considered good for the human body.
- The presence of Omega 3 fatty acids and Omega 6 fatty acids in duck meat is considered the primary benefit of consuming fat present in duck meat. It contains 13 grams of saturated fat.
- Research states it is best to limit the saturated fat intake up to 5 - 6 % of your calorie intake. Too much saturated fat can increase the chances of heart issues and also potentially raise the level of cholesterol in the body.
Benefits Of Duck Meat Include The Following
- It helps in maintaining mental and physical health because of the presence of copper minerals known as cuprum. The cuprum in duck meat stabilizes mental health and plays an important role in the normal growth and development of a person. In addition to that, cuprum is also known to be good at reducing bad cholesterol levels in the body.
- For those who suffer from low weight and thinning abnormalities, the content of fatty acids in duck meat is considered important, which will help you gain weight over time. However, in order to make yourself bulgy overnight, do not consume the excess fat of duck meat. This may increase the cholesterol levels in the body to a great extent and cause health abnormalities
- The pantothenic acid present in duck meat, which is one of the most important vitamins b complex nutrients, releases energy and activates the nervous system. This helps in preventing stress, depression, from knocking and thereby reduces anxiety.
- Vitamin b3 present in duck meat serves to smoothen the bowel system of the human body. It helps in absorbing carbohydrates fats and proteins, overcoming insulin resistance thereby aiding in a powerful way to control diabetes.
- Consumption of duck meat can help in facilitating the circulatory system associated with the vitality of men. Vitamin b1 also known as thiamine, present in duck meat provides exceptional energy towards increasing the vitality of men.
Common Side Effects
- The presence of saturated fat in duck meat enters the body and settles at four corners. This causes the blood vessels to clot and certainly brings dangerous diseases into the body.
- Duck fat increases cholesterol quicker than any other source of meat. Fat makes the metabolism process difficult and attacks the heart resulting in heart diseases
- Excessive consumption of duck meat results in obesity. It is very much necessary to pay attention to the nutrient-rich areas of duck meat so that the vitamins and minerals are absorbed and the fat portions are cut off from the diet
Most chefs recommend cooking poultry chicken and other meat for a very long time. However, when it comes to duck meat they are cooked like steaks which do not involve complete cooking. They are taken off the oven when they are partially done. Although it is said that any method of cooking applied in chicken can also be applied in the case of duck, duck meat can be used in any dish.
The usage of duck bones to make broth for soups can be used as an alternative to butter. Those who love the taste of duck meat can even consume duck eggs which are rich sources of vitamin b12.
Tags: Is Duck Meat High In Cholesterol, Duck Meat Vs Chicken Meat, Is Duck Meat Good For Diabetes
Annie is the oldest writer at Cheap Medicine Shop and is the subject and publishing expert. She has a graduate degree in medicines along with a diploma in creative writing.