How To Remove Pimple Marks With Effective Home Remedies?
Pimples are one of the most annoying things one could ever have. They show up right before important events and won’t go away, no matter how hard you try. And the worst part? Pimples leave scars behind, and most people just don’t know how to remove pimple marks from their faces.
Soon after your pimple dries out, it often leaves a red or brown spot. This is temporary inflammation that makes your skin go thicker or darker and gets resolved on its own within a couple of weeks.
But there are some deeper marks that appear like depressions in the skin - they are the ones you need to be particularly careful about. These are what are truly called pimple marks and won’t get away on their own unless they are treated properly.
While it is very important to invest in the right type of skincare products that suit your skin, you should also never touch or pop a pimple on your face, as this is the leading cause of pimple marks. To learn more about how to remove pimple marks, read on.
What Are The Different Types Of Pimple Marks?
There are five different types of pimple marks which are listed below:
- Ice-pick Scar: Ice-pick scars are deep V-shaped scars that are generally less than 2 millimeters wide. They often appear in a way as if a sharp object, like an ice-pick, has drilled a hole into the skin. Due to the depth and narrow impressions, ice-pick scars are way too severe than other types of pimple scars, including boxcar scars. Ice-pick scars most commonly occur in cheeks and demand persistent and more aggressive treatment to heal.
- Rolling Scar: Rolling scars are pits or indentations in the skin that have sloped sides. Each of the pits formed is wider than 4 - 5 millimeters. Their shape is the primary reason why certain pimple marks provide your skin with a wavy and uneven appearance.
- Boxcar Scar: Boxcar scars are broad, box-like depressions with sharply defined edges. They usually show up on your lower cheeks and jaw, where the skin is relatively thicker than the rest of your face. Boxcar scars are caused by chickenpox or some viral infections of the skin.
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation: It refers to temporary pigmentation that follows an inflammatory skin disorder (such as dermatitis or infection) or an injury (such as a thermal burn). Also called acquired melanosis, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation is usually observed in darker skin types and often goes away on its own. All you need to do is to drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated and apply sunscreen every day, no matter whether or not you go out in the sun.
- Keloids: Keloids are the scar tissue buildup over the injured skin that facilitates healing. They could be much larger than the original wound. Keloids are usually found on the chest, cheeks, earlobes, and shoulders. However, keloids may affect any part of the body. Although keloids are not harmful to your health, they may develop cosmetic concerns.
What Are The Causes of Pimple Marks?
There may be many different causes of pimple marks, some of which are listed below:
- Puberty; (this is the most common trigger)
- Lack of sleep or irregular sleep patterns
- Hormonal fluctuations
- Genetic susceptibility
- Insufficient water intake
- Certain medications, including steroids
- Humidity and excessive sweating
- Dandruff; can cause pimples on your forehead
- Pollution, harsh skin care products, ultraviolet rays
- Smoking and alcohol consumption
- Food containing high sugar content (such as sweets, chocolates, etc.) and excessive use of dairy products may worsen your pimples
How to Remove Pimple Marks From Your Face?
The following tips will help you remove pimple marks from your face:
Don’t pop pimples
Popping your pimples often leaves scars, so keep your hands off your face all the time. Popping them or squeezing them is never a good idea. Picking pimples can irritate your skin and spread germs, which implies more pimples and more pimple marks.
Avoid sun exposure
If you want to remove pimple marks naturally, then the best way to do this is to avoid sun exposure as much as you can, particularly the harsh afternoon sunlight. This is so because the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun increase the melanin production of your skin, which in turn could make your scars darker and more prominent.
So, apply sunscreen multiple times a day, avoid excessive sun exposure, and always wear a hat whenever you absolutely need to be in the sun. These measures will greatly contribute to helping you get rid of pimple marks naturally.
Use gentle products
To quickly get rid of pimples, it is crucial to steer clear of using anything harsh on your skin. It would be best to avoid harsh soaps, exfoliators, and creams. Also, avoid ingredients such as alcohol or fragrances as they tend to negatively impact pimples. Please don't irritate your skin by using harsh towels on your face, and don’t overuse acne scar medication, anticipating faster results.
If you’re susceptible to pimples, kindly make sure that your skin is always clean, use a salicylic acid-based face wash, drink plenty of water and remove your makeup completely before you hit the bed.
Use natural remedies
Dermatologists-recommended pimple treatments, in addition to an effective Cleansing-Toning-Moisturizing (CTM), are essential to minimize your odds of acne breakouts, remove pimple marks and attain an overall fair complexion. But there are also a plethora of home remedies available that help heals and prevent acne, fade pimple marks and provide an overall flawless complexion.
Ingredients such as lemon, honey, and aloe vera help people get rid of pimple scars over time. They are not only safe to try but also highly effective when used cautiously.
Best Home Remedies To Remove Pimple Marks
Some of the best home remedies you can consider to get rid of pimple marks are:
Aloe vera is an exemplary home remedy to remove pimple marks if used regularly. This happens due to a compound found in aloe vera called aloesin, which effectively reduces pigmentation that is generally left behind a pimple. This compound helps in decreasing the melanin production of the region.
How to use it?
- Cleanse your skin with lukewarm water.
- Squeeze out the gel from one whole aloe vera leaf.
- Apply this gel to the affected area before you apply any other skincare products.
Do this daily. You may also apply aloe vera gel on your hair and body or drink aloe vera juice to improve your skin’s pH Balance.
Lemon juice is another effective natural remedy for pimple scars. It has skin lightening and brightening properties that will help reduce your pimple scars and make them less prominent over time.
How to use it?
- Squeeze out the juice of a half lemon and rub it gently on your pimple marks and other affected areas.
- You can use your fingers or a cotton pad to do this. Make sure your hands are clean.
- Let it sit for about 10 - 15 minutes, and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Do this every alternate day, and kindly use fresh lemons for the best results.
Turmeric is perhaps the oldest-known medicinal herb for humans. With anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, turmeric helps speed up the lightening of pimple marks and improves skin tone. Consistent use of turmeric powder on the skin helps reduce pigmentation and provides you with a glowing complexion.
How to use it?
- Mix turmeric powder with some drops of lemon juice.
- Apply this paste all over your face just as you apply any other face mask.
- Leave it on your skin for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
Do this every alternate day. If you don’t want your fingers to be stained yellow, wear gloves because turmeric often leaves behind its yellowish tint.
Everyone knows the incredible moisturizing effects of honey, and this is the primary thing that helps heal pimple marks faster. Honey expedites the natural healing process of your body, and that’s how it also helps remove pimple marks over time.
How to use it?
- Cleans your face thoroughly and apply a tiny amount of honey as a spot treatment.
- Leave it on your skin for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with gentle antibacterial soap and lukewarm water, and follow it up with a moisturizer.
Apply honey to the affected area regularly to get rid of pimple marks and keep your skin clear and flawless.
Also Read: Is Popping Pimples Bad for Your Skin?
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil has antibacterial properties, which is what makes it a wonderful remedy for pimples and pimple scars. This wondrous oil not only helps in eradicating pimples but also helps remove pimple marks.
How to use it?
- Take a teaspoon of coconut oil in a mixing bowl.
- Add 2 - 3 drops of tea tree oil to it and mix it well.
- Leave it on your face overnight. Wash it off with a mild cleanser the next morning.
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is an amazing ingredient if you want to achieve the perfect pH balance for your skin. It soaks in excess oils and keeps the skin pores clean and exfoliated naturally, leaving soft, smooth, and blemishes-free skin. It also helps in fading the redness of your pimples and steadily helps in the reduction of their size.
How to use it?
- Mix apple cider vinegar with two tablespoons of honey.
- Add a little water to dilute the mixture and mix it well
- Use a clean cotton pad to apply this mixture all over your face.
- Leave it for 15 - 20 minutes before washing it off with plain water.
Do this daily for effective results. In case you have sensitive skin, mix one part of apple cider vinegar with ten parts of water and apply it to your face.
Everyone gets pimples from time to time, and sometimes pimples leave scarring as it heals. Pimple marks vary in appearance depending upon the type and severity of the pimple. There are many medical and natural treatments available to reduce these scars. If you are concerned about pimple marks, consult a dermatologist for a personalized treatment plan for you or kindly consider the home remedies listed in this article to get rid of pimple marks naturally.