When a person has cancer, he makes all the efforts to cure it with every possible cure, treatment, and therapy. Many people rely on integrative medicines to get an effective cure. It is a combination of medical drugs as well as some complementary therapies to get rid of the tumor. The complementary therapies may be acupuncture, massage, meditation. These medicines are also known as complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). They are some alternative care that is carried alongside standard care like chemotherapy, radiation therapy, biological therapy etc.
What is complementary and alternative medicine(CAM)?
Some patients with cancer opt for some complementary treatment along with the prescribed standard treatments. These therapies help to manage the side effects of the standard therapies like chemotherapy, radiation therapy or other treatments. There are various people who only take complementary therapies instead of standard ones that doctor usually disprove of. They may lead to more side effects.
Types of Integrative Medicines are:
- Aromatherapy: This treatment uses fragrant oils to improve the condition or lift the mood. It helps in giving relief from nausea, dizziness, fatigue, stress and sleep problems.
- Acupuncture: It is an ancient Chinese practice that uses needles or pressure to stimulate the points on the patient’s body. The therapy releases the chemicals that help in relieving the pain. It also helps in easing nausea and vomiting. Other than that it helps in relieving cancer pain, dry mouth, hot flashes, fatigue, weight changes, swallowing difficulties, appetite loss etc.
- Massage Therapy: This treatment can reduce the pain, irritation, and stress. It helps to relieve surgery, anxiety.
- Music Therapy: It helps the patient in lifting his mood and feel lively which will help him to recover.
- Meditation: It is a common concentration process that helps to ease anxiety, nausea, stress and sleep problems. It helps in lifting the mood and reducing the chronic pain. Various kinds of meditations are there like focussed meditation, loving-kindness meditation.
Things to consider before opting for complementary therapies:
Before going for complementary and alternative therapies, there must be some considerations made that could help in the proper treatment:
- It is evident to discuss all the treatment options with your doctor. Ask him whether is it safe to get complementary therapies along with your normal treatments or not.
- Make sure that the therapy will work well and give positive results in future.
- Does the stage at which you currently are could improve after getting the complementary therapies.
Diets and Herbal Products recommended:
If you are thinking of taking herbal supplements or dietary products, it is important to discuss it with your doctor. Ask him about all the benefits and risks of the products. After the approval, the patient may go for the products and supplements as a complementary therapy. For example, Ginger works effectively in reducing nausea when you are having the treatment of chemotherapy. It is necessary to ensure the safety of products, as well as some can interfere with the current treatments that they are undergoing. Some products may develop other serious complications like hike in blood pressure, headaches, seizures, stroke.
If any kind of harmful effects persists, immediately contact your doctor. Some products may be dangerous and get create some harmful effects. Therefore, the patient should understand all the ill effects that could persist from the herbal or dietary products.
If you are thinking of buying the products, it is recommended to use the only single-ingredient product from a branded company. A proper certification mark must be there and it must be checked that the particular product has been verified by researchers.