Everyone loves a beautiful smile. Don’t they? But if we want to achieve it, we have to make sure that we have healthy teeth, else our smile won’t be that beautiful as it needs to be. Healthy teeth not only results in a good smile but also a good health. A lot of people don’t know it but your dental health plays a major role in the complete health of your body. Poor oral hygiene can result in some serious conditions. People facing gum problems, heart diseases, oral infections are all linked to a poor oral hygiene. If you think that your mouth is healthy, then you must make sure that your teeth are clean and free of any kind of debris, your gums are pink, they do not bleed as well as swell, and bad breath is not a constant problem for you.
If you also want to develop healthy and good dental habits there are various preventions that you must keep in mind.
- Brush your teeth regularly: Brushing plays a major role in getting healthy teeth. Many of the people only brush their teeth when they see yellow gunk on the surface of their teeth while others brush only once or twice a week that leads to pale and unhealthy teeth. If you want a healthy mouth and beautiful smile, it is mandatory to brush twice a day in order to prevent germs. It helps to remove the leftover food particles from the mouth and keep it safe from infections. Rinsing and brushing is the first step towards developing good dental habits.
- Flossing: One thing that everyone should be habitual with after brushing is flossing. It helps to get rid of food particles between teeth which sometimes do not get removed with the bristles of a brush. Therefore, it is recommended to floss your teeth after every meal in order to get healthy teeth.
- Brush and floss your teeth properly: If you brush and floss your teeth regularly, but still complaint of bad breath and remnants sticking in between teeth, you are not doing it right. It is required to brush and floss your teeth properly. You don’t need to do just for the sake of it. To learn about the correct way of brushing, you can talk to your dentist and get his advice.
- Avoid some bad habits like nail biting or thumb sucking: These habits are extremely bad if you are working towards getting good oral health. Young people have a common tendency to do it that impacts them in a negative way. It is necessary for the elderly to educate them and help them to get rid of these problems.
- Watch your diet: Diet plays an important role in managing the health of teeth. A good diet is anyway recommended by the specialist in order to manage your body well. It is necessary to consume food items that are rich in calcium and fibers so as to improve the strength of your dental health. Shop for calcium enriched food items as they are more beneficial for stronger teeth.
- Avoid tobacco: Smoking and chewing tobacco are extremely harmful to your oral health. If you chew tobacco, you must know that it reduces the body’s ability to fight infections causing problems in the mouth. It also limits the proper development of blood vessels, resulting in unhealed gum tissues. It is abrasive to teeth and must immediately be prevented.
Proper technique of brushing:
It has always been a matter of question as what is the correct technique of brushing teeth. Some steps are:
- Tilt the brush at 450 against the gumline and make a sweep from it. Slowly move the bristles towards the area from inward to outward motion that will bring the food particles out.
- Gently brush the outside, inside and chewing surface of each tooth using back and forth strokes.
- You can brush your tongue as well to remove the bacteria from its surface.
- After brushing the teeth, floss them properly by covering the curves and spaces between them. Make sure that no particle has stuck in between. Floss beneath the gum line properly.
By keeping these techniques, you can get healthy teeth without any dental problems as well as a beautiful smile.