According to the reports, many people have died in the South Indian state of Kerala after being infected by the virus named Nipah virus. It is considered to be a deadly one. In May 2018, people of Kerala witnessed this deadly virus for the first time and till now many people have already died including a nurse who had been treating a family of three. The outbreak started in Kozhikode, consequently spreading to other neighboring districts. Till now this virus has infected more than 250 people and around 40% of them are taken under intensive care as they are severely infected by this virus.
What is Nipah virus
Nipah virus is considered to be a highly contagious virus. It is an emerging infectious disease in the South Indian state of Kelera that causes severe disease in both humans and animals. The host of this virus is fruit bats who belongs to Pteropodidae Family. It was first identified in the year 1998, in Malaysia when the outbreaks of the disease took place in Kampung Sungai Nipah and at that time pigs were the immediate hosts. After that, in the year 2004 people of Bangladesh were infected with this virus after consuming date palm sap which was contaminated by infected fruit bats. There have been cases of human to human transmission but the reason for transmission is not yet discovered. It is yet to know if it happened because everyone was infected by the virus or was exposed through an infected person.
According to the experts, the symptoms of this virus becomes visible within 5 to 14 days and therefore it is suggested not to ignore any such signs.
- It affects the brain
- It can lead to a state of confusion, disorientation, headache, fever, drowsiness and severe cases can fall into a coma.
- Many patients also show the signs of neurological, respiratory and pulmonary
- Neck rigidity and light sensitivity are also seen
Long-term side effects on the survivors of this virus can be convulsions and personality changes.
Treatment and Precautions
According to the researchers, currently there is no vaccine available for this disease either for humans or for animals and patients and the only way to manage and treat the infected patients is through intensive supportive care. As there is no vaccine available people are advised to take precautions very seriously. Health professionals who are attending infected patients are suggested to take precautionary measures such as wearing masks and gloves, washing hands with antibacterial whenever they get in contact with an infected patient, get themselves treated immediately if they feel uneasiness. It is also suggested to keep an infected patient or those who are exposed to the virus should be kept in isolation.
Avoid drinking toddy which is available in open container and is near to palm tree.
- Maintain distance with pigs or pig handlers
- Wash all fruits and vegetables properly
- Clean your washrooms to maintain hygiene.
- Avoid exposure to sick pigs and bat in endemic areas.
- Stay away from consuming date palm
Share this information with your friends and family to make them aware of this deadly virus. Remember to take precautions whenever possible. Stay Safe, Stay Healthy!!