Yoga is considered to be a practice of calming and quieting the mind. It is said to be a pathway to attain a joy in life, mental balance, and peace. Yoga has become widely known and has been widely used for the treatment of various health conditions and helps in improving the symptoms of health problems. Yoga has an ability to reduce the sense of sadness and improves balance, harmony, and functioning of body organs.
Mental health is defined as a state of well being in which a person understands his or her own abilities, helps to cope with different difficulties and stress and work productively towards the betterment of the life. Whenever any condition disrupts a person’s ability to think, feeling, or interfere in daily activities, it is defined as a mental illness. Stress, anxiety, and depression are common but if they remain unresolved and unmanaged, they can lead to various psychological disorders.
There are pieces of evidence that suggest that practicing yoga can help you deal with psychological disorders. Yoga enhances the quality of life for those who are healthy and those who are ill. Yoga is an individual health promoting exercise which is easily accessible and cost effective. It involves yoga postures, breathing exercises and meditation. The loss of balance of mental health usually occurs in the form of anxiety and depression and yoga is known to work wonders in treating these mental problems. It enhances physical and mental health.
Some of the yoga postures for improving mental health are as follows:
Balasana is also known as child’s pose and it is considered to be a resting pose that works wonders on the mental health. It effectively calms the mind and provides an instant effect on the brain. It enhances blood circulation and improves the health of various body organs including the cognitive system and mental health. It lowers the level of stress and tiredness. This pose not only provide benefit to the mental health but it also improves any problem of the lower back and digestion. It massages the internal organs and improves digestion. It strengthens the thighs, ankles and hip muscles. Steps to practice this yoga posture are as follows:
- Start with sitting straight on the floor and then kneel down on the floor and touch your big toes with each other.
- Bend forward, as you exhale your torso should lie in between the thighs.
- Try to touch the floor by your forehead and keep your hands lay on the floor in the forward direction.
- Feel how the weight of the front shoulder pulls the shoulder blades wide across the back.
- Try to stay in that position for 30 to 60 seconds and gradually returns to your initial position.
Uttanasana, also known as standing forward bend is incredibly a beneficial posture, not only for the mental health but for the overall wellbeing. It is a simple yet effective posture to practice on the daily basis. It soothes the nerves and calms the mind. It is an amazing yoga posture to reduce stress, anxiety, depression, and tiredness. Other health benefits of practicing standing forward bend pose include, it strengthens the thighs and knees, relieves tension in the back and neck, stimulates kidneys and the liver. It also reduces the symptoms of health problems such as asthma, insomnia, and headache. It is an amazing exercise to add to your daily routine. Ut os extremely beneficial. Steps to practice this yoga posture are as follows:
- Stand straight on the ground with a small gap between the feet.
- Bend forward using your hip joints. Do not bend your knees.
- Try to touch the floor on the side of your legs. It requires flexibility.
- If you are unable to touch the floor, try to grip the back of ankles and touch the head with your knees.
- Try to hold that position for at least a few seconds and then gradually return to your initial position.
Savasana, also known as corpse pose is the final part of the yoga. It involves deep breathing with a relaxation of each body part. Savasana is a yoga posture which seems to be the easiest pose, but it can be one of the hardest to do as it requires you to relax the entire body. When we talk about savasana, the benefits are high in number. Everything from the balance to memory will improve with the help of this pose. It relaxes the whole body by releasing stress, tension, depression, and anxiety. It enhances the positivity in the life and improves the symptoms of any mental illness and sleep disorders. It also stimulates the blood circulation. Steps to practice this yoga posture as follows:
- Lie flat on the floor and try to be comfortable. Ensure that there is no disturbance while you are doing the pose.
- Your toes should be facing sidewards and let your legs relax completely.
- Keep your arms by your side and your palms facing upward.
- Breathe slowly and get into a position of complete relaxation. Do not fall asleep in the process.
- Breathe slowly and deeply and do not think about other tasks.
- Stay in that position for at least 10 minutes and feel the relaxation.
Padmasana, also known as lotus pose is one of the best poses that work to alleviate stress. It regulates the breathing and helps our mind to be free from any negative thoughts. It reduces tension, stress and calms the brain. Other health benefits of this yoga pose include increased awareness, develop good posture, increases energy levels and stimulates the bladder, spine, bladder, and abdomen. Yoga increases the likelihood of positive behavioral pattern and reduces negative thoughts and behavior. Steps to practice this yoga pose are as follows:
- Sit on the mat with your spine erect and legs stretched forward.
- Bend your right knee and place it on your left thigh and similarly, bend your left knee and place it on your right thigh.
- Your soles should be pointing upwards and heels close to the abdomen.
- Take a deep breath and wait for some seconds. Release the breath.
- Repeat the process few times.