Hydrea 500 Mg
US Brand Name
Bristol Myers Squibb
Hydrea 500 Mg (Hydroxyurea)
What Is The Generic Name For Hydrea:
Hydroxyurea is the generic version for Hydrea
Which US Brand is Equivalent To Hydrea 500 mg (Hydroxyurea):
About Hydrea 500 Mg (Hydroxyurea):
Hydrea 500 mg contains an active ingredient, Hydroxyurea, which is used in the treatment of cervical cancer and a type of leukaemia (chronic myeloid leukaemia (CML)). This prescription only drug can be found only at the leading pharmacy stores, drugstores and medical supply stores.
Bristol Myers Squibb is one of the leading pharmaceutical companies which manufacture Hydrea 500 mg. It can be purchased from our online pharmacy.
Hydrea 500 mg contains an active ingredient, Hydroxyurea, 500 mg which is available in the various strengths and substitutes at all the leading pharmacy, drugstores, and medical supply stores.
What Are The Uses Of The Hydrea 500 Mg (Hydroxyurea):
Hydrea 500 mg is used in the treatment of:
- Cervical Cancer
- Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia
How Hydrea 500 Mg (Hydroxyurea) Works:
Hydrea 500 mg contains Hydroxyurea as an anti cancer agent which blocks the action of the abnormal protein that signals cancer cells to multiply and this helps to stop or slow the spread of cancer cells.
Before You Use Hydrea 500 Mg (Hydroxyurea):
Make sure that:
- You are not allergic to Hydroxyurea
- You do not take alcohol
- Your doctor knows about your Pre-existing disease, Surgeries, Medications, Food Habits, Supplements, etc.
What Should You Avoid While Taking Hydrea 500 Mg (Hydroxyurea):
- Avoid taking alcohol
- Avoid Smoking
- Avoid using contact lenses while taking this medicine
- Avoid taking Medicines without prescriptions
When Not To Use Hydrea 500 Mg (Hydroxyurea):
You should not use Hydrea 500 mg if you:
- Have ever noticed any Allergy/Hypersensitivity to it
- Have Liver/Kidney Impairment
- Have hereditary problems like glucose intolerance, Lapp lactase deficiency or glucose-Galactose Malabsorption
- Have history of Blood Disorders or Anaemia
- Have gout or other cancers
- Have recently received radiotherapy or chemotherapy
- Are Breastfeeding/Pregnant
Tell Your Doctor If You:
- Have Allergy to it
- Have Bleeding Problems
- Have Liver/ Kidney Problems
- Have Diabetes or intolerance to sugars
- Feel any symptomatic effects due to the medicine like swelling of the face, lips, tongue or throat, skin rashes and itching, difficulty breathing, unexplained fever, chills or sore throat, breathing difficulties, wasting of muscles and peeling of the skin and nails
- Suffer from breathing difficulty with fever or cough
- Are taking Antiretroviral medicines (those destroys retrovirus such as HIV) e.g. didanosine and stavudine and have gone through a radiation therapy and Myelosuppressive medicines including chemotherapies
- Develop symptoms like Loss of appetite, severe diarrhea, nausea/vomiting, severe blistering or peeling of skin, severe pain in abdomen, redness in eye, and blurred vision
- Have taken any live vaccine or gone through any surgery
- Take Alcohol
- Are Pregnant/ Conceiving/ Breastfeeding
- Are having other Diseases, Drugs or Therapies
Hydrea 500 mg contains Hydroxyurea, which is used in the treatment of Cervical Cance and Leukaemia. Hydrea 500 mg is available in various strengths and substitutes and should be given on prescription only. Consult your doctor for the duration of dosage as age and severity of the disease differ from patient to patient.
It is not recommended for Pediatric Population and should be taken as suggested by your doctor.
How Much Of The Hydrea 500 Mg (Hydroxyurea) to Be Used:
You must be instructed to take your medicine on either a daily basis or an irregular basis. The recommended dose is 20-30mg of Hydrea per kg of your bodyweight once a day or 80 mg per kg of your body weight once every third day. Do not exceed the dose on your own as it may result in adverse effects.
How To Take The Hydrea 500 Mg (Hydroxyurea):
Hydrea 500 mg dose should be taken at a fixed time and is to be taken 1-2 hr before and after the food. Swallow the tablet as a whole with water without chewing or crushing it.
For How Long Should You Continue Using Hydrea 500 Mg (Hydroxyurea)
You are always advised to take Hydrea 500 mg as prescribed by your doctor. You are not advised to take it for a longer time than recommended.
Contact your physician or reach to nearby medical facility immediately if you are suspecting the overdose symptoms or any adverse effects.
A missed dose of Hydrea 500 mg should be taken as soon as you remember. Skip the dose if it is the time for the next dose. Do not double the dose for next time if you missed once.
What Are The Side Effects Of The Hydrea 500 Mg (Hydroxyurea)
- Unexplained shortness of breath cough with fever, skin ulceration, especially with infection
- Blood disorders (reduction in WBCs, RBCs, and platelets)
- Lower back pain or pain in your side
- Black tarry stools or blood in the stools
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Numbness or tingling of hands or feet
- Absence or low amount of sperm in the semen (azoospermia/oligospermia)
- Loss of appetite
- Embryo-Fetal Toxicity
- Muscle weakness, tiredness or tenderness
- Sickness, diarrhoea, constipation, abdominal pain
- Sores on the lips or mouth
- Difficulty or pain passing urine
- Skin and tissue problems like Rashes, Darkening, Reddening, Peeling, Purple Patches, Erythema, Scaling, Alopecia, Atrophy, Ulceration, or Skin Cancer
- Kidney problems
- Anorexia and Tumor Lysis Syndrom
- Inflammation of the liver (hepatitis) which causes flu-like symptoms
- Drowsiness/Dizziness/Fits/Confusion or Hallucinations
What Are The Common Drug Interactions:
Hydrea 500 mg effects may be altered by other medicines or other products you using. It can produce some adverse effects or cause your drug not to work properly. Always discuss it with your doctor if you are on Vitamins, other Drugs or Herbal Supplements. It interacts with the following medicines:
Antiretroviral drugs interfere with hydrea and results in conditions like:
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Lab test Interference:
- Uric Acid
- Urea Analysis
- Lactic acid Assays
Warning And Precaution:
Hydrea 500 mg should be used very cautiously or avoided in:
- Impaired Liver/Kidney Function
- Leg Ulcers
- Folic Acid Deficiency
- If you have received radiotherapy and chemotherapy or taking medicines for other cancer treatment specially Interferon Therapy
- It is not recommended for Pregnant and Breastfeeding women
- Consult your doctor to get best possible treatment and dosage adjustment.
Things To Remember:
- Take necessary actions to keep this medicine away from all those who are not taking it as exposure is also harmful for non patients.
- Regular monitoring of blood count is needed while taking it
- Keep out of reach of children
- Ask your doctor if you have any confusion related to the dosage, time, and the strength of the medicine
Do not stop taking Hydrea 500 mg on your own. Always consult your doctor about the medicine in any case. Do not use after expiry date.
Store it at cool temperature and clean place. Make sure that the package of the medicine is not damaged.