Imuran 50 Mg
US Brand Name
Imuran 50 Mg (Azathioprine)
What Is The Generic Name For Imuran:
Azathioprine is the generic version for Imuran
Which US Brand is Equivalent To Imuran 50 mg (Azathioprine):
About Imuran 50 Mg (Azathioprine):
Imuran 50 mg contains an active ingredient, Azathioprine, an immunosuppressant that is used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis and during Kidney transplantation. This prescription based drug is available in oral as well as injectable form and can be found at any of the leading pharmacy stores, drugstores and medical supply stores.
GSK (India) is one of the leading pharmaceutical companies which manufacture Imuran 50 mg.
Imuran 50 mg contains an active ingredient, Azathioprine, 500 mg which is available in the various strengths and substitutes at all the leading pharmacies, drugstores, and medical supply stores.
What Are The Uses Of The Imuran 50 Mg (Azathioprine):
Imuran 50 mg is used to treat:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Immune system attack during kidney transplantation
How Imuran 50 Mg (Azathioprine) Works:
Imuran 50 mg contains Azathioprine as an anti-suppressant which basically blocks the immunity or immune system to attack the organ which is transplanted or in rheumatoid arthritis.
Before You Use Imuran 50 Mg (Azathioprine):
Make sure that:
- You are not allergic to Azathioprine
- You do not take alcohol
- Your doctor knows about your Pre-existing disease, Surgeries, Medications, Food Habits, Supplements, etc.
What Should You Avoid While Taking Imuran 50 Mg (Azathioprine):
- Avoid taking alcohol
- Avoid Smoking
- Avoid taking Medicines without prescriptions
When Not To Use Imuran 50 Mg (Azathioprine):
You should not use Imuran 50 mg if you:
- Have ever noticed any Allergy/Hypersensitivity to it
- Have Liver/Kidney Impairment
- Have any serious infections and inflammations
- Have certain types of cancers like Skin cancer, Leukaemia, etc.
- Have had eye problems (ulcers in the front part of the eye, inflammation in the eye)
- Are Breastfeeding/Pregnant
Tell Your Doctor If You:
- Have Allergy to it
- Have Bleeding Problems
- Have Liver/ Kidney /Gastrointestinal Problems
- Have any inflammation or infection
- Have had a Surgery or have been operated recently
- Take Alcohol
- Are Pregnant/ Conceiving/ Breastfeeding
- Are having other Diseases, Drugs or Therapies
Azathioprine in Imuran is used in Rheumatoid Arthritis and Organ Transplantation. Imuran 50 mg is available in oral and injectables form and used in combination therapy. It can be found in different strengths and other substitutes and should be given on prescription only at all the online pharmacy stores, drugstores, and medical supply shops. Consult your doctor for the duration of dosage as age and severity of the disease differ from patient to patient.
It is not recommended for Pediatric Population and pregnant/breastfeeding women. Keep this medication away from non-patients/healthy people. Take Imuran 50 as per instructions or guidance of your doctor as doses are different for both the problems.
How Much Of The Imuran 50 Mg (Azathioprine) to Be Used:
Imuran 50 mg is available at all the leading online pharmacy stores, drugstores, and medical supply stores. Patients are always advised to follow their doctor’s prescriptions and instructions to take Imuran 50 mg. Do not exceed or reduce the dose on your own as it may result in adverse effects or no results.
How To Take The Imuran 50 Mg (Azathioprine):
Imuran 50 mg dose should be taken at a fixed time with or without food. Swallow the tablet as a whole with water without chewing or crushing it.
For How Long Should You Continue Using Imuran 50 Mg (Azathioprine)
You are always advised to take Imuran 50 mg as prescribed by your doctor. You are not advised to take it for a longer/smaller time than recommended.
Contact your physician/ doctor or reach a nearby medical facility immediately if you are suspecting the overdose symptoms like fever, swelling of the organ, pain, skin rashes, hives, etc.
A missed dose of Imuran 50 mg should be taken as soon as you remember. Skip the dose if it is the time for the next dose. Do not double the dose for next time if you missed the dose once. Taking double/ multiple doses may cause adverse effects or life-threatening conditions.
What Are The Side Effects Of The Imuran 50 Mg (Azathioprine)
- Low White Blood Cell Counts
- Stomach Problems, Including Nausea, Diarrhea, And Vomiting
- Nausea/ Vomiting
- Skin Rash
- Muscle Aches
- Increased Liver Enzyme Levels
- Liver Damage
- Low Blood Pressure
- Severe Abdominal Pain
- Fatty Stools
- Extreme Tiredness
- Excessive Weight Loss
- Chest Tightness
- Swelling Of Your Face, Lips, Tongue, Or Throat
- Increased Sensitivity of the Skin to Sunlight
What Are The Common Drug Interactions:
Imuran 50 mg may interfere with other medicines you are taking or diseases with which you are already affected. It can produce some adverse effects or cause your drug not to work properly. Always discuss it with your doctor if you are on Vitamins, other Drugs or Herbal Supplements. It interacts with the following medicines:
- Ace inhibitors
- Live Vaccines like Brucella, BCG, Flu, and chickenpox vaccine
It may interact with the few diseased conditions:
- Low Blood cell count
- Liver Disease
- TPMT Deficiency
Warning And Precaution:
Imuran 50 mg should be used very cautiously or avoided in:
- Impaired Liver/Renal Function
- Thiopurine S-Methyltransferase (TPMT) Deficiency
- Blood cell problems
- Pregnant /Breastfeeding women/children below age 18 years
- Consult your doctor to get the best possible treatment and dosage adjustment in diseased conditions.
Things To Remember:
- Take necessary contraceptive measures while taking this tablet.
- Regular monitoring of blood count and Liver function is needed while taking Imuran 50 mg
- Keep out of reach of children
- Ask your doctor if you have any confusion related to the dosage, time, and the strength of the tablet
Do not stop Imuran 50 mg suddenly or do not take it for longer than recommended by your physician/doctor as the wrong use of Imuran 50 mg leads to adverse effects.
Store it at a cool temperature in a dark, clean and dry place. Make sure that the tablets should be intact and not damaged. Do not refrigerate it.