Thyronorm 100 Mcg
USA Brand Name
Abbott Pharmaceticals, India
About the brand
Thyronorm 100 is marketed globally by Abbott.
About the drug
An active ingredient in Thyronorm 100 is Thyroxine sodium.
Thyroxine sodium is used in the treatment of hypothyroidism and thyroid cancers.
Manufacturer of Thyronorm 100
Thyronorm 100 having 100mcg of thyroxine sodium is manufactured by Abbott Laboratories. It is mainly marketed and supplied by the company and its associates in India.
Thyronorm 100 having 100 mcg of Thyroxine sodium.
USA Brands Equivalent to Thyroxine sodium the salt in Thyronorm 100
Eltroxin is the US brand equivalent to thyronorm.
Use of Thyroxine sodium the salt in Thyronorm 100
- Thyroid cancer
- Myxedema Coma
Hypothyroidism: Thyroid gland produces a natural hormone called thyroxin. Thyroxin controls the amount of energy our body uses. When thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroxin it leads to slowing down of many of the body functions. This condition is termed as hypothyroidism. In such a situation thyroxin is supplemented in the form of tablet in different doses.
How Thyronorm 100 works?
Levothyroxine(T4) is the synthetic form of thyroxine.T4 is converted to its active metabolite L Triiodothyronine(T3). The thyroid hormone (T3 & T4) bind to the thyroid receptor proteins in the cell nucleus and exerts metabolic effects through control of DNA transcription and protein synthesis which are involved in normal metabolism, growth and development. It also promotes gluconeogenesis, increases utilization and mobilization of glycogen stores, and stimulates protein synthesis and increases basal metabolic rate.
How to take Thyronorm 100?
Thyronorm 100 having salt Thyroxin sodium shall be taken as informed by your physician. It is usually taken early in the morning on an empty stomach before breakfast (30 – 60 minutes before ) or first meal of the day. Take the tablet with plenty of water.
Thyroxin sodium the active salt in Thyronorm 100 is to be taken usually in a dosage which ranges from 25 mcg, 50 mcg,100 mcg etc. up to 300mcg daily. Take the appropriate dose as prescribed by your doctor.
How long should Thyronorm 100 be continued?
Thyronorm 100 having Thyroxin sodium is usually taken lifelong. Do not change the dose or stop the medicine without consulting a doctor.
Dose of Thyronorm 100 missed
If you miss a dose of Thyronorm take it as soon as you remember it unless it is time for the next dose. However, do not take a double dose.
Drug interaction with Thyroxin sodium the salt in Thyronorm 100
- Drugs used for the treatment of epilepsy-like Phenytoin, carbamazepine and barbiturates.
- Medicines containing calcium salts
- Proton pump inhibitors like pantoprazole, lansoprazole etc
- Beta blockers: Atenolol, sotalol
- Insulin, metformin etc.
- Amitriptyline, imipramine etc.
When not to take Thyronorm 100
Do not take Thyronorm 100 if you have allergic reactions with the salt or excipients.
Adverse Effects / Side effects of Thyronorm 100
Call a doctor if you are having:
- Allergic reaction such as swelling of the face, tongue, lips and throat, difficulty breathing, severe itching of your skin with raised lumps, joint pain, sensitivity to the sun, general feeling of being unwell.
- High temperature
- Weight loss
- Restlessness, excitability, difficulty sleeping
- Chest pain (angina)
- Irregular or fast heartbeat
- Loose stools
- Vomiting, muscle cramps, muscle weakness, irregular periods, intolerance to heat, temporary hair loss in children.
- Some patients may experience a severe reaction to high levels of thyroid hormone. This is called a “thyroid crisis” which is seen with very high temperature, fast heart rate, irregular heartbeat, low blood pressure, heart failure, jaundice, confusion, fits and coma.
Overdose Effects of Thyroxine sodium in Thyronorm 100
Immediately seek medical care if you suspect an overdose which may be seen as fever, chest pain (angina), racing or irregular heartbeat, muscle cramps, headache, restlessness, flushing, sweating and diarrhea.
General information and precaution
Tell your doctor:
- If you are diabetic
- If you are on other medications.
- Consult doctor regularly to take decisions regarding dosage adjustments.
- Try not to miss any dose.