Bimat 0.03% w/v
USA Brand Name
Bimatoprost Ophthalmic Solution
Bimatoprost Ophthalmic Solution
Ajanta Pharma, India
About the brand
Bimat is a brand of Ajanta pharmaceuticals and manufactured by same in India
About the drug Bimat 0.03% w/v
BIMAT (0.03 %) is a drug of choice for Glaucoma (Open Angle Glaucoma especially) and prolonging the growth of eyelashes. BIMAT Eye drops contain Bimatoprost, which is mainly a prostaglandin analogue. It is used mainly for two conditions which are, Open-angle glaucoma and to treat hypotrichosis.
USA brands equivalent to Bimat 0.03% w/v
Lumigan is a brand available in the USA having the same salt bimatoprost.
Uses of Drug
1. Open-angle glaucoma: Glaucoma is a group of diseases associated with an eye of a person. The most common type of Glaucoma is Open-angle glaucoma which is painless condition results in loss of vision and permanent blindness. In open-angle glaucoma usually, intraocular pressure increases which results in vision loss. BIMAT helps in reducing the intra-ocular pressure thus treating open-angle glaucoma.
2. Hypotrichosis: Hypotrichosis is a condition that causes impaired hair growth or loss of hair in the region of the body. During use by patients, it was found that BIMAT eye drops help in the restoration of the hair in an eye region which is mainly eyelashes.
Working of the drug
Bimatoprost the main ingredient in BIMAT Eye drops mainly helps in opening up the blocked channels in the eye region drainage mechanism. When the drainage channels of eye get opened, the intraocular pressure gets reduced due to the outflow of extra fluid in the inner region of the eye. It is mainly known as aqueous humor.
The drug in 0.03 % concentration in solution form of 3 ml is mainly manufactured by Ajanta pharma.
Strength and dosage form of Bimat 0.03% w/v
BIMAT is available in container in a range of 3 ml 0.03 mg/ ml is the strength of the BIMAT solution.
Take one drop in a day. Do not overdose yourself. Ask your doctor, for the correct dosage you should take.
Do not take this drug if you
• Are wearing Contact lenses. Remove contact lenses prior to using the BIMAT solution eye drops. Use contact lenses after 2 hours duration of application of solution in your eye.
• Are allergic to bimatoprost.
• Have eye discomfort.
• Pregnant or planning to get pregnant
How to take the drug
The drops shall be applied with caution in an eye once at a time. Make a pocket in the eye using your Index finger by pulling the lower eyelid. Put one drop of an eye in the pocket and close the eye and open it to spread the drug in complete eye region. Use only one drop in a day and do as directed by the doctor.
For the purpose of hypotrichosis, apply the drop with an applicator with caution over the base of the eyelashes, mainly applied over the upper eyelashes region.
What to do if you missed the dose
If you have missed the dose, do not panic. Go for the next dose, skip the missed dose time. Never overdose yourself.
Following are the adverse effects using the BIMAT eye drops.
• Drying of Eye
• Watering Eyes
• Itchy eyes
• Eye discomfort
• Burning sensation in the eye
• Vision changes
• Blurred vision
How long it should be continued
Bimatoprost Ophthalmic solution 0.03 % shall be taken once in a day. It should be repeated more than once a day. Your doctor will inform you complete information on how to take the drug, when to take the drug, and up to what time. Consult your doctor for more information.
Overdose side effects
Currently, no information on overdosage exists for the drug. The drug is still in clinical trials, still, adverse reactions to the drug are being studied.
Missed Dose issues
When a dose is missed, take it as soon as you recall to take it. However, skip the dose, if its almost time to take the next dose. Never overdose yourself. For further information contact your doctor, as soon as possible.
Any possible drug Interactions
There are not many studies available to report drug interactions with BIMAT (Bimatoprost Ophthalmic Solution 0.03 %). However, till date two drug interactions have been reported with the drug, these are,
Latanoprost ophthalmic and Topical bimatoprost solution
General information and Precautions / Warnings
- BIMAT Eye drops are not made for all patients. The prescription depends on patients to patient and person to person.
- Remove contact lenses before application of eye drops in the eye.
- Consult a doctor if any adverse effects result in.
- Pigmentation: The drug has been reported to cause pigmentation changes in the body of the user. Frequently seen pigmentations have been reported in iris, periorbital tissue, and eyelashes.
- Eyelashes Changes: The drug may gradually change eyelashes and vellus hair in treated eyes.
- Intraocular Inflammation
- Macular Edema
- Bacterial Keratitis