Calaptin 2 ml
USA Brand Name
Nicholas Piramal, India
About the CALAPTIN-2 ml
Calaptin-2 ml is marketed by Abbott laboratories and is available at every leading online pharmacy, drugstore and medical supply store. The active ingredient present in Calaptin-2 ml is verapamil. Calaptin-2 ml is primarily used for relief from signs and symptoms of supraventricular tachycardia, atrial fibrillation, hypertension and angina pectoris.
Manufacturer of Calaptin-2 ml
Calaptin-2 ml, the contains 2 ml mg of Verapamil, is manufactured primarily by Abbott Laboratories. It is mainly marketed and supplied by the company and its associates in India.
Calaptin-2 ml contains 2 ml mg of Vearapamil.
USA Brands Equivalent to Verapamil, The Salt In Calaptin-2 ml
Uses of Calaptin-2 ml
Calaptin-2 ml is used in the treatment of the following ailments-
- Hypertension: It is a medical condition in which the blood pressure in arteries is persistently elevated. Verapamil, the salt present in Calaptin blocks the calcium channels present in the smooth muscles of blood vessels. This leads to the relaxation of blood vessels and thus helps in reducing the symptoms of hypertension.
- Supraventricular Tachycardia: It is a medical condition caused by abnormal and fast heart rhythm occurring due to the improper electrical activity of upper part of the heart. Calaptin-2 ml improves the condition by blocking calcium channel blockers present in AV node and SA node which leads to decrease in impulse conduction from AV and SA nodes.
- Atrial Fibrillation: It is a medical condition of abnormal heart rhythm characterized by rapid and irregular heartbeat. Calaptin-2 ml improves the condition by blocking calcium channel blockers present in AV node and SA nodes which leads to decrease in impulse conduction from AV and SA nodes.
- Angina Pectoris: It is a condition marked by a severe pain in chest, often spreading to shoulders, arms and neck and it occurs due to inadequate supply of blood to the heart. Verapamil, the salt present in Calaptin blocks the calcium channels present in the smooth muscles of blood vessels. This leads to the relaxation of blood vessels and thus brings more blood to the heart which helps in reducing the symptoms of angina pectoris
How Calaptin-2 ml Works
The drug mainly acts by inhibiting calcium channel blockers which are mainly present in the blood vessels, SA and AV nodes of heart. By inhibiting calcium channel blockers, the drug helps in dilating blood vessels and improve blood supply to the heart and thus helps in relieving hypertension and angina. By blocking calcium channel blockers present in AV node and SA node which leads to decrease of impulse conduction from AV and SA nodes, it helps in supraventricular tachycardia and atrial fibrillation.
How To Take Calaptin-2 ml
Calaptin, that contains the salt Verapamil, can be administered with regards to meals. Take the drug early in the morning if your drug is prescribed for once daily use. Strictly follow the instructions of your doctor while using this drug.
Verapamil, the active salt present in Calaptin-2 ml is to be taken in dosages which range from 40 mg to 42 ml mg. A more specific dose will be directed by your doctor.
How Long Should I Continue To Take Calaptin-2 ml?
Calaptin-2 ml is a need to basis medicine. It is always advisable to consult your physician before you start/stop taking the drug. Avoid taking such decisions on your own and do not self-medicate.
A missed dose should be taken as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not take multiple doses at the same time
Drugs That Interact With Calaptin-2 ml
The following drugs are known to interact with Calaptin-2 ml:
- salicylate drugs like aspirin.
- Antifungal Agents
- Antipsychotic Agents.
When Not To Take Calaptin-2 ml
Do not take Calaptin-2 ml if:
- You have allergic reactions to the salt or any of the excipients (such as lactose) present in the formulation.
- If you have gastrointestinal bleeding.
Side Effects Of Calaptin-2 ml
- Allergic Reaction
- Dizziness or passing out
- Shortness of breath
- Hard stools (constipation)
- Slow heartbeat
- Liver problems (signs include dark urine, light colored stools, yellow colored skin /eyes)
- Swelling in arms/legs
- Weight gain
Overdose Of Calaptin 2 ml
Possible effects of over dosage vary from person to person. If overdose of the drug is suspected, contact your doctor immediately.
General Information and Precautions
- Inform your physician if you have previously had heart problems.
- If you are 65 years of age or above, caution should be taken while using this drug.
- Consumption of alcohol may increase stomach problems.
- Inform your physician if you have any kidney or liver problems.
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your medications with others.
- Tell your doctor before starting a new medication including OTC, herbals etc.